No announcement yet.

Dell To Begin Shipping Ubuntu 20.04 LTS On Their Latest XPS Developer Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell To Begin Shipping Ubuntu 20.04 LTS On Their Latest XPS Developer Edition

Phoronix: Dell To Begin Shipping Ubuntu 20.04 LTS On Their Latest XPS Developer Edition

Dell is announcing this morning that their latest XPS Developer Edition laptops are beginning to ship with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS as the latest version of the popular desktop Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

No Ryzen, no buy!

Comment

I am not buying anything with a Windows logo in it.

Comment

It is a mess. There are no proper AMD Ryzen Laptops out there made by Dell, Lenovo, HP ...I truly believe there are some bad business practices behind close doors ongoing.

Comment

Ok, now... please XPS 17 with Ryzen 9 4900HS and Radeon 5500 or 5600 XT.

Comment

I believe Lenovo are releasing a bunch of machines with Fedora 32 pre-installed and they're also going to certify Ubuntu across their entire range (including some having Ubuntu pre-installed). Not sure about the Ryzen models though!

If they're shipping 20.04 LTS on laptops, maybe someone could tell Dell's server department to support 20.04 LTS with their OpenManage Ubuntu repositories - they still only goes up to 18.04 LTS - see: http://linux.dell.com/repo/community/openmanage/

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                A Ryzen 9 4900H with no discrete graphics would be enough for me.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                  It is a mess. There are no proper AMD Ryzen Laptops out there made by Dell, Lenovo, HP ...I truly believe there are some bad business practices behind close doors ongoing.
                  AMD needs to really focus on their APUs for that to happen; basically by releasing a lot of stuff with an iGPU on board like Intel does regardless of how many FPS the crappy iGPU can play Crysis at. One of the Intel highlights is having their high-end mobile or desktop stuff come with the iGPU so their stuff can be seen as the one stop solution. AMD, OTOH, hasn't really been making high-end APUs until very recently, and it can even be argued that the 4000s are really only mid-tier at best when compared to what Intel offers with a iGPU, so they're not seen by system makers for that purpose like Intel is.

The iGPU on a lot of stuff is also what makes Intel a better choice in regards to (power) users running VMs. I know I can't be the only one who would rather have an iGPU and a secondary power hogging dGPU that I use as necessary over a CPU and two dGPUs in a desktop and workstation situation.

It's not that AMD doesn't make good products, it's that they haven't put their attention towards high-end with iGPU so Intel is the better choice. With two generations of console APUs, I'm really hoping their AM4 successor and what comes next in their CPU lineups are a lot more iGPU (APU) focused because moar coars only goes so far (in the consumer market).

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                    This. Why is it not on the market? Or even with some Nvidia GPU would be ok.

But no one can tell me that this would not sell sufficiently enough to make money. What is going on behind the doors?
                    I don't get it, the market is depleted there are no sane ryzen notebooks available - sold out. Or only crappy ones are available - who is paying 499$+ for 14"-15" without at least fullhd? thats a joke.

What was the offer for large OEM's for not investing into building a lot of this notebooks in any possible permutation?
                    Even for non-tech economy guy's it should be obvious that they are missing sales opportunities.

(In my circle of acquaintances at least three people want to have a new laptop budget, gamer and professional use ....and they can't find or buy suitable one)

Comment

Working...
                    X