Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Working On Much Faster Hibernation/Resume Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Working On Much Faster Hibernation/Resume Support

Canonical's Andrea Righi who is on the Ubuntu Kernel Team sent out a set of patches last week working on opportunistic memory reclaim support as a means of achieving much speedier system hibernation and resume performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, 4x~13x improvement

Comment

How does one enable hibernation on Ubuntu? It never worked for me tbh.

Comment

Hm currently they are building the initial packages for kernel 5.7 for groovy: https://launchpad.net/~canonical-ker..._filter=groovy

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          How does one enable hibernation on Ubuntu? It never worked for me tbh.

My guess, as I don't remember seeing the option in power management on my laptops, is that it doesn't show up as an option if there's some ACPI blacklist or incompatibility going on. I'd like some clarity on that myself.

Comment

Is sleep and hibernation the same thing..?

Comment

No.

Sleep keeps the RAM powered on whereas hibernate saves the RAM to swap and powers down completely.

Comment

Faster hibernation would be quite nice, seeing as SSDs have made hibernate pretty much redundant. But what is proposed here seems dangerous and rather hard to implement properly. But if the devs think they can crack this nut, kudos to them.

Also, wth are the hibernating that it takes 51s? Hibernate didn't take me 51s even when I was using a mechanical HDD (as I said, I found very little use for hibernate after I moved to SSD).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Also, wth are the hibernating that it takes 51s? Hibernate didn't take me 51s even when I was using a mechanical HDD (as I said, I found very little use for hibernate after I moved to SSD).
                  Considering the key audience here is servers, memory could be hundreds of gigabytes filled with juicy application-level caches like JIT-compiled code.

Comment

Ubuntu (Mate) doesnt even support hibernation - has to be enabled via sime polkit mumbo-jumbo

Comment

Working...
                    X