Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMB3 Updates For Linux 5.8 Offer Better Performance For Large I/O

Phoronix: SMB3 Updates For Linux 5.8 Offer Better Performance For Large I/O

The SMB3/CIFS updates for the Linux 5.8 kernel from the Samba camp can offer better performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will be nice when we get close to windows parity for file transfer.

Comment

It would be nice if somebody would donate the hardware necessary to build 2 computers with 10Gbit network cards and a high quality wire between them for these developers to have something to test on and optimize the code until it's able to saturate the even this kind of future network.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        It would be nice if somebody would donate the hardware necessary to build 2 computers with 10Gbit network cards and a high quality wire between them for these developers to have something to test on and optimize the code until it's able to saturate the even this kind of future network.
        10Gbit is no longer "future network" since you can buy 10gbit up and down Internet connections commercially in some big European cities

On the server side you can buy 200Gbit network adapters already. You can simulate 10Gbit with virtual machines easily.

Comment

Future network? 10g ethernet equipment has been shipping for more than a decade. Most large organizations are decommissioning their 10g equipment in favor of 25g or 40g nowadays. Even 100g cards have come so far down in price, it's silly how cheap they are.

There's actually a good Linus Tech Tips vid on the tube where after some tweaking, is able to get his CIFS NAS saturating 10g ethernet. Initially it was only going at ~300 Mbit or so. He called in the vendor, who did some tuning, and got it dialed up.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of using Linux to serve CIFS. If I were building a mixed environment, I'd go for some commercial NFS client on Windows and leave CIFS and its hassles behind.

Comment

Nice to know I have future technology at home

Comment

They can afford to get a couple old 10Gbit SFP+ cards from decommissioned servers on ebay. It's like 20$ per card + 10$ for the SFP+ to optical module. While technically using optical cables, it's still the same ethernet protocol.

The ones using RJ45 connector modules and normal ethernet cables are more expensive, but still, it's like 50$ for such modules.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 June 2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                There's actually a good Linus Tech Tips vid on the tube where after some tweaking, is able to get his CIFS NAS saturating 10g ethernet. Initially it was only going at ~300 Mbit or so. He called in the vendor, who did some tuning, and got it dialed up.
                And this is why SMB/CIFS is shit, ladies and gents.

Why can't the system deal with finding the best values on its own? It's not like I receive them on stone tables by a god on a mountain, the same tests and profiling I do can be done automatically by the application.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of using Linux to serve CIFS. If I were building a mixed environment, I'd go for some commercial NFS client on Windows and leave CIFS and its hassles behind
                Yeah I agree. If you need to use SMB you are probably using Windows and active directory anyway, and that is so much easier to just get a Windows server to do that.

The problem is that pretty much none makes Windows-based NAS appliances, and therefore any NAS has Linux and a crappy CIFS (usually some ancient version).

Comment

I have dual 40Gbit cards in all of my home machines. I also bought some Mellanox switches from Ebay, and I'm set up for both Ethernet and Infiniband, should I choose.
                  All in the name of keeping my skills sharp.

Comment

Working...
                  X