Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSF Now Offering Video Conferencing Service To Its Members

Phoronix: FSF Now Offering Video Conferencing Service To Its Members

In aiming to promote freedom-respecting video conferencing at a time when other platforms like Facebook and Zoom are exploding in popularity as a result of the coronavirus crisis, the Free Software Foundation is offering a video conferencing system for its associate members...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Setif
    Jitsi Meet uses JavaScript !!
    So what?

Comment

So long as its not non-free Javascript, that is fine. We really can't help if developers choose stupid languages.

Comment

Is it even possible to to live video recording and webrtc without javascript? i.e. pure HTML?

Comment

FSF should kindly request a donation from AMD for a couple of Threadrippers and build a few servers for more open source FLOSS projects that are pro freedom of speech, anti-censorship, privacy and decentralization.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

Is it even possible to to live video recording and webrtc without javascript? i.e. pure HTML?
            The WebRTC implementation used by Chrome is open source and has a license that allows it to be embedded in other applications. So they could always make a native client around it if they wanted, free of Javascript.

Comment

The issue for me is not that it is written in Javascript but that its server is primarily written in JAVA. I'd love to install it too but I've had a long term server and desktop policy of not using anything that is written in JAVA for the last 10+ years and I'm not going to change that policy just because I would like to provide a Zoom alternative. As it turns out the next update to Nextcloud Talk (ie; Spreed) will host up to 10 users so (whew) that will be good enough for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
                As it turns out the next update to Nextcloud Talk (ie; Spreed) will host up to 10 users so (whew) that will be good enough for my needs.
                Is it possible to increase this limit for a self-hosted instance, or is it like a hard limit?

Comment

Pretty well a hard limit imposed by the backend technology used. They have new HPC (high-performance backend) components written in Golang that will help but it's still an SFU system so to get zoom/jitsi like performance would require beefy servers using an MCU configuration. See this link below for an explanation of P2P vs SFU vs MCU...

When it comes to WebRTC multiparty video, the most common architecture out there is SFU. The reason for it is cost and complexity.

Comment

Like any open source project participation is voluntary, entirely willing.
                    Last edited by AdamOne; 29 May 2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X