Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deleting A Few Lines Of Code Can Yield "Significant" Power Savings On Some Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting A Few Lines Of Code Can Yield "Significant" Power Savings On Some Linux Systems

Phoronix: Deleting A Few Lines Of Code Can Yield "Significant" Power Savings On Some Linux Systems

A patch slated to be merged for the Linux 5.8 kernel cycle next month that simply deletes ten lines of code (well, six lines of code and four lines of comments) will for some systems yield "significant power savings" due to an oversight in the kernel code that has lasted for about twelve years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Significant" Power Savings Trek II:

He tasks me.
    He tasks me and I shall have him!
    I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give him up!

Comment

Still compiling (amd-staging-drm-next (5.6.0)) with these lines deleted.

Comment

I wish it said how much. I have two Linux boxes with a PCI slot (one AMD, one Intel), that I still use somewhat regularly. And we're heading into the summer months, with me now cooped up all day long, in a room with all my PCs.

If we're just talking about shaving a couple W at idle, then I probably won't bother. But, if it's into the double-digits, then perhaps it's worth some trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          I wish it said how much. I have two Linux boxes with a PCI slot (one AMD, one Intel), that I still use somewhat regularly. And we're heading into the summer months, with me now cooped up all day long, in a room with all my PCs.

If we're just talking about shaving a couple W at idle, then I probably won't bother. But, if it's into the double-digits, then perhaps it's worth some trouble.
          It only affects PCI Express to PCI/PCI-X bridges. Do a 'lspci | grep -i express' to see if you have any devices that this would apply to, otherwise it has no benefit.

Comment

How common is the setup affected by this patch?

Comment

sounds like it would not make a difference on laptops?

I think my PC has 4 pci express slots only one is used

Comment

Well, I did what cbxbiker61 suggested and I got 4 items. So...? Maybe common enough this'll be worth it for a fair number of people.

Comment

That's why Linux needs to increase its market share to get more users for more bug reports and more developers to try and fix stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                    "Significant" Power Savings Trek II:

He tasks me.
                    He tasks me and I shall have him!
                    I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give him up!
                    When I much younger, I thought that was a really cool line.
                    When I was a little older, I realized that it's an odd, almost embarrassingly bad paraphrasing of the original from Moby Dick. Even given that maybe Khan loved that book, it is such a ridiculous thing to say.

Now back to the kernel. I'm pretty excited about this as it could potentially save me some power.

Comment

Working...
                    X