Oracle Releases GraalVM 20.1 Virtual Machine With Some Big Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Releases GraalVM 20.1 Virtual Machine With Some Big Improvements

Phoronix: Oracle Releases GraalVM 20.1 Virtual Machine With Some Big Improvements

Oracle today released GraalVM 20.1 as their latest big feature update to this virtual machine implemented in Java that also supports not only JIT compilation but ahead-of-time compilation for Java software as well as supporting an LLVM runtime and other languages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Java™ as base...

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
      Java™ as base...
      Should be rewritten in JavaScript?

Comment

JS, Python and Ruby benchmarks would be appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by brauliobo View Post
          JS, Python and Ruby benchmarks would be appreciated
          And functional comparison with CPython and PyPy. That is if it only works in benchmarks it doesn't really exist per se.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Oracle Releases GraalVM 20.1 Virtual Machine With Some Big Improvements

... but ahead-of-time compilation for Java software...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-20.1-Released
            Does this mean you can make native binaries ?

Comment

https://www.graalvm.org/docs/referen.../native-image/

Comment

Yes it can create binaries so you dont need a JVM on the target system.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Sort of.
                  The native tool is not actually part of GraalVM, it's a separate download. And it's experimental, it only works on a handful of projects atm. Last I checked, it could only target Linux on x86_64, I don't know how much has changed in the meantime.

But when it works, it works wonders

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Sort of.
                    The native tool is not actually part of GraalVM, it's a separate download. And it's experimental, it only works on a handful of projects atm. Last I checked, it could only target Linux on x86_64, I don't know how much has changed in the meantime.

But when it works, it works wonders
                    It's no longer experimental, and Red Hat is contributing many significant improvements as well.

It support much more than x86_64 now - including support for ARM64 targets.

Many great projects have started to take advantage of this native capability - just have a look at https://quarkus.io/ to see how we make the native-image compiler more accessible and productive. (disclaimer : I work on Quarkus)

Comment

Working...
                    X