No announcement yet.

Rust Performance Is Getting Hurt On LLVM 10 With Noticeably Longer Build Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Performance Is Getting Hurt On LLVM 10 With Noticeably Longer Build Times

Phoronix: Rust Performance Is Getting Hurt On LLVM 10 With Noticeably Longer Build Times

While our benchmarks of Clang 10.0 have generally been favorable or at least no big regressions compared to LLVM/Clang 9.0, it seems the same can't be said for Rust when shifting their compiler base to LLVM 10.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly LLVM devs have a tendency to ignore issues related to only Rust (see years old aliasing bugs in LLVM that'd make Rust outperform even C in some cases).

I don't think this will get fixed anytime soon.

Comment

As if it isn't already a giant pain in the a** compiling programs in Rust...

Comment

Maybe the rust people will rewrite it in rust ...

(I will actually cheer for them this time, if they do)
        Last edited by Raka555; 10 May 2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

When people realized a free compiler framework isn't that free to rely on...

Comment

Is the instruction count a bad thing? Have they compared performance of generated code?

Comment

If only we could use GCC as the compiler for Rust...
              Last edited by King InuYasha; 10 May 2020, 12:47 PM. Reason: Fix thinko: backend -> compiler

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                Is the instruction count a bad thing? Have they compared performance of generated code?
                I am using LLVM as a backend for my own compiler as well. (still at LLVM-9 atm)
                As one of the goals of my project is to reduce the bloat of the executables, I will be extremely unhappy with a 5% gain version-on-version ...
                One can digest it if it is MUCH faster than before but it is very disappointing if its slightly faster, let alone slower.

LLVM is really a behemoth !
                My frontend compiler uses less than 2M memory while LLVM uses about 40M when I compile 287 lines of code ...

BUT if LLVM never existed, neither would have my compiler.
                Last edited by Raka555; 10 May 2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  When people realized a free compiler framework isn't that free to rely on...
                  Too bad you didn't realize you're saying nonsense. Closed compilers don't even come close.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Too bad you didn't realize you're saying nonsense. Closed compilers don't even come close.
                    You missed my point. I'm suggesting language developers should invest into the compiler backend more, instead of solely relying on the upstream.

Comment

Working...
                    X