Unigine Engine Turns 15 Years Old For Delivering First-Rate Linux Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Engine Turns 15 Years Old For Delivering First-Rate Linux Graphics

Phoronix: Unigine Engine Turns 15 Years Old For Delivering First-Rate Linux Graphics

Yesterday marked fifteen years since the very first release of the Unigine Engine, the longtime Linux-friendly game engine that over the past decade has seemingly increased focus towards industrial simulations and AR but remaining well known among PC enthusiasts for the company's very demanding tech demos...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And still no Vulkan build of Superposition, even though SP is the only common use case of the software.

Comment

That is something I don't understand. Many engines support D12, which is supposed to be similar to Vulkan. Yet none of them have incorporated Vulkan after more than two years.

Comment

Originally posted by smotad View Post
        That is something I don't understand. Many engines support D12, which is supposed to be similar to Vulkan. Yet none of them have incorporated Vulkan after more than two years.
        Somehow I suspect MS influence here ....I have to polish my tin hat now

p.s.: I have to admit that I have totally underestimated the capabilities of Unigine ...That water simulation looks stunning.
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 05 May 2020, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Similar in capabilities, or similar in API?

Just look at the big markets for games:

Windows - DX12
          Xbox - DX12
          PS4 - Gnm (alteast the shader-language seems to be similar to DX12)

little return of investment for pragmatics. Theres hope the next-gen will support Vulkan, it its not shoed in right at the start, consoles are unlikely to receive such "feature" updates later

Comment

It depends what you mean by "engine". The id Tech 7 is exclusively using Vulkan and is powering Doom Eternal.

Comment

Originally posted by all3f0r1 View Post

It depends what you mean by "engine". The id Tech 7 is exclusively using Vulkan and is powering Doom Eternal.
              UE4 has vulkan support as well, it just has to be checked right next to dx12 when editing a project. Many games thus can have vulkan enabled.
              Last edited by ix900; 05 May 2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

have incorporated Vulkan after more than two years.
                Also, it is not that simple to change an engine built in the last 15 years to use a completely different API, which might need to change all the architecture of the engine to support it

Comment

Modern engines should be using Vulkan these days.

Comment

Take it apart, put it together again, with Vulkan added. Impossible? No. Hard work? Very, but excellent addition to the Linux community.

Comment

Working...
                    X