Thanks Oracle! New Patches Pending Can Reduce Linux Boot Times Up To ~49%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Oracle! New Patches Pending Can Reduce Linux Boot Times Up To ~49%

Phoronix: Thanks Oracle! New Patches Pending Can Reduce Linux Boot Times Up To ~49%

While many don't look upon Oracle's open-source software contributions too eagerly, some new patches out by their team can dramatically benefit Linux kernel boot times and they are working on getting it upstream. The numbers are already very promising and further work is also underway to make the improvement even more tantalizing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

oracle linux and oracle kernel have been a major upgrade for every centos user

Comment

Thanks Oracle! Now kindly fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
        Thanks Oracle! Now kindly fuck off.

Thanks Obama!

Comment

Nice work speed improvements are always welcomed.

the funny thing here is that after building my last Zen based system boot times are not the big drag they use to be. It is pretty shocking in fact and makes hard crashes far more bearable.

Comment

Really? Boot times are improved by 49%? Who cares, my system boots in less than 20 seconds, I usually push the button and by the time I sit down the system is up an running. I guess Oracle has resolved all other issues with open source software and can now concentrate on the mundane that no one will notice.

Comment

From the kernel mailing list post, the impact is mainly on systems with huge amount of RAM. In a system with 340GB, it shaved 1.5 second of 4 seconds normal boot time. The idea is that in cloud deployments it's useful to improve boot time to easily scale up.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                Really? Boot times are improved by 49%? Who cares, my system boots in less than 20 seconds
                Embedded developers care. Even a tenth of a second counts.

Comment

As I don't need 20 seconds to repeatedly fall off my chair until I properly sit on it, I also care.

// Especially in case of my sofa and my HTPC.
                  Last edited by Zyklon; 01 May 2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                    Really? Boot times are improved by 49%? Who cares, my system boots in less than 20 seconds, I usually push the button and by the time I sit down the system is up an running. I guess Oracle has resolved all other issues with open source software and can now concentrate on the mundane that no one will notice.
                    Probably should get that pine cone off your chair.

Comment

Working...
                    X