Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.0 Finally Retiring Its Adobe Flash Export Support

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.0 Finally Retiring Its Adobe Flash Export Support

Many likely didn't realize the functionality was still in place, but LibreOffice 7.0 will finally phase out its export support for Adobe Flash (SWF)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rest in pieces, Adobe Flash.

Comment

Good riddance.

Comment

The focus on this export filter has been for allowing LibreOffice presentations and drawings to be in Flash format.
        That's cool; I didn't know that was a feature. I'll keep this in mind if I ever travel back in time to the glory days of flash. Could come in handy.

Comment

I have fond memories of the early days of flash music video websites, long before YouTube. Cows With Guns was one of the first animated flash video songs I saw. And flash games online. 13 Days in Hell is still one of my favorites.

Comment

Speaking of Flash, what is or what will be future support to use old software made on it? I see Flash as an old console, in the sense that we need an emulator to run it's programs, we will need something to run games made on it or something like that.

We have (had?) great flash games on Armor Games, like Gemcraft (all of the version) or Momentum MIssile Mayhem

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
              Speaking of Flash, what is or what will be future support to use old software made on it? I see Flash as an old console, in the sense that we need an emulator to run it's programs, we will need something to run games made on it or something like that.

We have (had?) great flash games on Armor Games, like Gemcraft (all of the version) or Momentum MIssile Mayhem
              A community effort to preserve games and animations from the web.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                I really wish Shumway was successfully. Then we could just have that in our browsers (by default or optionally) and have flash without any proprietary software, or (additional) security concerns.

Apparently there's a petition for Adobe to open source flash (to the maximum extent they are able to. That repo also has some useful links to related projects. I really wish we lived in a world where abandoned software was open sourced as a matter of course, rather than occasionally...

Comment

The flash plugin is one of the best browser plugin ever made. Furthermore, it can reproduce videos using the real (real, not fake) acceleration of the GPU. Blind idiots killed it. The 3D and the real video acceleration is a full failure with the modern technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                    The flash plugin is one of the best browser plugin ever made. Furthermore, it can reproduce videos using the real (real, not fake) acceleration of the GPU. Blind idiots killed it. The 3D and the real video acceleration is a full failure with the modern technologies.
                    It could have cured HIV and solved world hunger but if they only make a build for Windows and macOS, then it is still worthless for all I care.

But yes, it should be open-sourced for digital preservation purposes. We can also learn a lot from how Flash ended up. For example Unity is pretty much the *same* prosumer product which means that its lifespan is also a little limited.

Comment

Working...
                    X