Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS Sees 3x Throughput Boost For ZVOL Sync Write Performance

Phoronix: OpenZFS Sees 3x Throughput Boost For ZVOL Sync Write Performance

Last week brought FreeBSD support merged into OpenZFS and it turns out there is another recently-merged exciting advancement for this cross-platform open-source ZFS file-system code in terms of a big speed boost...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am pretty excited about all the OpenZFS stuff happening. I am not a storage person by any means, but my day job has required me to dig in and really get to speed on a lot of things storage related. I have learned a lot. I know there is Btrfs and others are rooting for some acceptable Linux native solution, but I am still happy to see the ZFS stuff. It seems to have a good reputation, and it seems to work well here and now. I'm all for other things happening, but I would not hesitate to use ZFS in a 'production' situation were the need to arise.

Comment

If I read correctly the current master of ZFS will be released as ZFS v2.0. Does anybody know a date or roadmap for this?
      There are also major speed improvements in the encryption path of ZFS ( https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/9749 ) that will probably not show up in the 0.8 branch?

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
        If I read correctly the current master of ZFS will be released as ZFS v2.0. Does anybody know a date or roadmap for this?
        There are also major speed improvements in the encryption path of ZFS ( https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/9749 ) that will probably not show up in the 0.8 branch?
        My understanding is 2.0 will be when all 4-5 supported OS's (FreeBSD, Linux, Illumos, macOS and Windows) are on the same repo based on OpenZFS/ZoL. (unsure about windows since it's kind of beta, it already is ZoL branch tho..) .. It might take some time for that code restructure.. but it's coming.
        Last edited by k1e0x; 20 April 2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

My understanding is 2.0 will be when all 4-5 supported OS's (FreeBSD, Linux, Illumos, macOS and Windows) are on the same repo based on OpenZFS/ZoL. (unsure about windows since it's kind of beta, it already is ZoL branch tho..) .. It might take some time for that code restructure.. but it's coming.
          :-(
          Then I really hope we get the improvements before v2.0.
          maybe with a 0.8.4 release?

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post

:-(
            Then I really hope we get the improvements before v2.0.
            maybe with a 0.8.4 release?
            Might not be too long. FreeBSD is done, just Illumos to go. macOS and Windows already are based on that repo... I just don't if the "official 2.0" needs to be stable on all of them.. or just compiles.

Comment

No, FreeBSD is the only OS that was a requirement for the OpenZFS 2.0 release. To my knowledge there are currently no other OS communities that are trying to join upstream with Linux and FreeBSD.

See the official OpenZFS 2.0 Project for reference: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/projects/25

Comment

Interesting, so the filesystem would be compatible across OS?(provided driver is installed) That's not really reliable for example with BTRFS windows support which is a different codebase/implementation, you kind of risk your data if you try to use the same BTRFS storage between Linux and Windows, while also missing out on some features I think(last I checked anyway).

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Up until this chage,

Comment

Why the heck should they wait for everyone else to be in the same repo?
                    Especially Illumos that is very slow to do these things and very partly responsible in FreeBSD switching over to ZoL as "upstream".

Comment

Working...
                    X