Nuvia's Jon Masters Talks Up Their Linux / Open-Source Support Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuvia's Jon Masters Talks Up Their Linux / Open-Source Support Plans

Phoronix: Nuvia's Jon Masters Talks Up Their Linux / Open-Source Support Plans

Following the virtual Linaro Tech Days this week, Nuvia's VP of Software, Jon Masters, has begun talking up the Arm server start-up's Linux/open-source support plans...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm all for this. I feel like when you raise the bar that others are inspired, encouraged, "damn if we dont", or in some way or another try and find themselves to reach that bar. Not always, but sometimes. I have little to no understanding of what makes the ARM ecosystem so complicated, but I know just because a given vendor uses a given core(s), it doesn't mean instant kernel goodness. I know there is more going on. Oh, and then there is the graphics side of things...

Comment

Hey I wish them the best, but when it comes to ARM in the datacenter, promise, promises.

When Phoronix gets a unit to put through the paces with no embargoes, no pre-test limitations (like Cavium does), no filters, then I will believe it.

Jon Masters can either become the Preston Tucker or Elon Musk of ARM Servers.

Right now I would say its 75/25 he will end up with Tucker.

Comment

Looking forward to it, looks cool. I've been trying my application on one of the NXP chips, it's promising.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          Hey I wish them the best, but when it comes to ARM in the datacenter, promise, promises.
          AWS has been making datacenter ARM (the Graviton) processors available for quite some time now. For certain scale out workloads they can be a very attractive choice, but they are certainly not everything for everybody. And while I wish AWS offered the Graviton processors under the lightsail offering (in order to reduce the impedance for dipping ones toes into the ecosystem), spinning up another EC2 instance is really child's play these days.

Comment

edwaleni I’m going to give it a shot of being the Elon of Arm servers, and we’ll see what happens! For Phoronix, we’ll ping Michael at the right moment and work out some terms that aren’t restrictive for him to publish useful real world benchmarks on real hardware.

Comment

It'd be great to see better upstream support for ARM.

Hopefully Jon Masters can get it done. Best of luck to you.

Comment

I'd like to see what Nuvia brings to the table to distinguish itself from other ARM vendors. It seems most of them (at least Ampere, Marvell and Nuvia) are targeting the same markets (e.g. hyperscalers, cloud); and all of them together have to compete with other ISAs. As we have seen with AMD in the x86 market even with a better and more cost effective product (and on the same ISA) it is hard to gain a foothold into the market against Intel's dominance. I hope they do have deep pockets to sustain their roadmaps or we will see another bloodbath amongst them.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

AWS has been making datacenter ARM (the Graviton) processors available for quite some time now. For certain scale out workloads they can be a very attractive choice, but they are certainly not everything for everybody. And while I wish AWS offered the Graviton processors under the lightsail offering (in order to reduce the impedance for dipping ones toes into the ecosystem), spinning up another EC2 instance is really child's play these days.
                  Very true. However AWS bought Annapurna Labs to get there. Nuvia has no deep pocket sugar daddy (that I am aware of) to keep them above water indefinitely.

Ampere has Lenovo helping them out. Cavium sold themselves to Marvell. When Qualcomm lost their cell radio gold mine they dropped Centriq in a heartbeat.

It makes you think that Nuvia is an engineering and marketing exercise to position itself to be sold. I see Mr. Masters has an eye on the blogs here, I wish you good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    Jon Masters can either become the Preston Tucker or Elon Musk of ARM Servers.
                    i don't think he is founder of nuvia

Comment

Working...
                    X