Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Ubuntu 20.04 With ZFS + Zsys Automated APT Snapshots

Phoronix: Trying Out Ubuntu 20.04 With ZFS + Zsys Automated APT Snapshots

As part of the ZFS improvements for Ubuntu 20.04 with Canonical's Zsys initiative is the ability to automatically take snapshots on APT operations for being able to do a system rollback/revert if necessary following package management changes. I've begun trying out the ZFS/Zsys changes for Ubuntu 20.04 and so far is working well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Welcome experimental Ubuntu in the new millennium!

Comment

About time! The power of CoW. Solaris and openSuse have been leveraging this wonderful feature for years now, there's no excuse for other distros not to adopt BTRFS or ZFS as default filesystem.

Comment

Should come with running apt/dpkg through eatmydata. The by far biggest reason that apt is slow is countless paranoid calls to sync, this is now definitely redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          About time! The power of CoW. Solaris and openSuse have been leveraging this wonderful feature for years now, there's no excuse for other distros not to adopt BTRFS or ZFS as default filesystem.
          OSTree achieves OS "snapshots" without btrfs or zfs.

and has the added benefit you don't need the snapshot to exist in the first place to roll to it.

Comment

well the same is easily done with lvm/ext4.
            i just dont think filesystem snapshot are the correct way to deal with package upgrades.

there are too many folders who need its own partition in this case (eg srv home)

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
              well the same is easily done with lvm/ext4.
              i just dont think filesystem snapshot are the correct way to deal with package upgrades.

there are too many folders who need its own partition in this case (eg srv home)
              Debian packages are not allowed to touch these folders by policy. They are limited to /etc, /var and /usr (/bin /lib if those don't reside in /usr) in the common case.

See the tags starting with 'dir-or-file' :
              Last edited by discordian; 23 March 2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

Debian packages are not allowed to touch these folders by policy. They are limited to /etc, /var and /usr (/bin /lib if those don't reside in /usr) in the common case.
                but you can touch them.
                and if you change their contents and roll back afterwards your changes have gone away. thats not way i expect from a snapshot made by a package manager

Comment

Ubuntu offers apt-btrfs-snapshot package for many years now. I just haven't seen grub integration. Further, rollback doesn't play nicely with nested volumes (e.g. docker btrfs storage driver) which is still a child of the old root volume even when a snapshot is mounted as root partition on boot.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Trying Out Ubuntu 20.04 With ZFS + Zsys Automated APT Snapshots

As part of the ZFS improvements for Ubuntu 20.04 with Canonical's Zsys initiative is the ability to automatically take snapshots on APT operations for being able to do a system rollback/revert if necessary following package management changes. I've begun trying out the ZFS/Zsys changes for Ubuntu 20.04 and so far is working well...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0.04-ZFS-Snaps
                    apt-btrfs-snapshot provides the same functionality with BTRFS. Install it, forget it and use apt as before, it Just Works. On one plus side, you get automatic snapshots before each upgrade. On the other plus side, you don't have to put up with that repulsive abomination from hell that is ZFS.

Comment

Working...
                    X