No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD 5.8 Released For This Popular + Performant BSD Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD 5.8 Released For This Popular + Performant BSD Operating System

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD 5.8 Released For This Popular + Performant BSD Operating System

DragonFlyBSD 5.8.0 release images began propagating tonight as the latest installment of this long ago forked FreeBSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is DragonflyBSD actually performant? Admittedly I haven't been following it, but last time I saw some benchmarks (a while ago) it was lagging behind FreeBSD in performance.

Comment

Can't say that it's very popular too. Michael seems to allow his personal biases leak into the headlines - not professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
        Can't say that it's very popular too. Michael seems to allow his personal biases leak into the headlines - not professional.
        I like these benchmarks and I am a paying premium user.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I like these benchmarks and I am a paying premium user.
          It's not about the benchmarks, it's about being factually correct as a journalist. The fact is that currently DragonflyBSD is neither popular nor especially performant to put that description in a title. It does make the title livelier and more attractive - as in it will gather more views. But it is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post

It's not about the benchmarks, it's about being factually correct as a journalist. The fact is that currently DragonflyBSD is neither popular nor especially performant to put that description in a title. It does make the title livelier and more attractive - as in it will gather more views. But it is incorrect.
            For me DragonflyBSD is quite interesting, because of its filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

For me DragonflyBSD is quite interesting, because of its filesystem.
              But that's not the point, is it? The title didn't say "DragonflyBSD with its interesting filesystem", it said "popular + performant". It may very well have an interesting filesystem and whatnot, but as a matter of fact at the moment it's neither popular nor performant. Therefore the title is inaccurate, and that's all I and the other above posters are complaining about.

Comment

It's relative. Among BSD users, it's popular enough. Userland is similar enough to FreeBSD to make for easy transition. Main difference is it's kernel, afterall. FreeBSD is most popular among BSDs. Many who use FreeBSD have or use DragonFly too, even if to only check up on it.

Before you trot out 'But it's Linux that's the most popular!", remember, Linux ain't OS, it's a kernel. If you consider generic GNU/Linux distros as an OS. Well, got news for ya, compared to Windows, GNU Linux is a 'niche' . It's all relative to viewpoint.

For Linux desktop users, it's an Alpha and Omega. Which is probably reason of your bitching outrage because seemingly insignificant competitor (from your relative point of view) seems to be stealing a glory "rightfully belonging to Linux".
                my advice, time to grow up.

Comment

Working...
                X