Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 3.1 Released With RAS For Vega 7nm, SLURM Support

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 3.1 Released With RAS For Vega 7nm, SLURM Support

A new version of the Radeon Open Compute "ROCm" stack is available today but it still doesn't deliver on Navi support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thats awesome because the original AMD Navi driver is finally incompatible with Mesa and the whole Advanced Media Framework is based on top of ROCm that never worked for Navi! Hey AMD spend freedesktop.org some money so they can do your driver work!
    Last edited by Naquatis; 28 February 2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
      Thats awesome because the original AMD Navi driver is finally incompatible with Mesa and the whole Advanced Media Framework is based on top of ROCm that never worked for Navi! Hey AMD spend freedesktop.org some money so they can do your driver work!
      Sorry, but I don't understand this. The original Navi open source shipped with Mesa OpenGL - are you just talking about AMDVLK vs radv ?

What makes you think AMF is based on ROCm ? I don't think there is any connection there. All of the video/compute interop plans I know about for Linux use Mesa multimedia, not AMF. Interop with AMF is primarily via AMDVLK as far as I know.

Thanks !
      Test signature

Comment

ROCm is fine and all, but i wish AMD hadn't abandoned Clover. ROCm does not support every architecture and it typically requires pcie 3.0 atomics, plus it is a whole software ecosystem that goes beyond mere OpenCL support. What about simple OpenCL support for all of us out of the box in MESA? The binary module from the pro drivers has some issues too (for example Libreoffice calc hangs at startup if OpenCL is enabled on my system).

It is sad because Clover was so close at being useable. I hope the rest of the MESA team keep working on it. Even better if AMD comes back to help it a little.

Comment

Comment

Is luxmark working properly now? Last time I tried only the simplest test worked ok (vega frontier)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              All of the video/compute interop plans I know about for Linux use Mesa multimedia, not AMF. Interop with AMF is primarily via AMDVLK as far as I know.
              Has opening of AMF been delayed to after-life?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Sorry, but I don't understand this. The original Navi open source shipped with Mesa OpenGL - are you just talking about AMDVLK vs radv ?

What makes you think AMF is based on ROCm ? I don't think there is any connection there. All of the video/compute interop plans I know about for Linux use Mesa multimedia, not AMF. Interop with AMF is primarily via AMDVLK as far as I know.

Thanks !
                AMDGPU Pro OpenCL worked fine with Mesa 19.3.0 on my RX 5700 XT:

Every Mesa version after that we are now at Mesa 19.3.4 broke the OpenCL functionality. But I think I was wrong with

.. never worked for me because you need to add a seperate plugin for OBS and then amf would use PAL or ORCA.

I thought one of them has a connection to ROCm but I was wrong .. so I have 3 OpenCL interfaces and non of them work.
                Last edited by Naquatis; 28 February 2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

FYI Slurm is not an acronym anymore. Mainly because it's not simple anymore. It's just Slurm. It's highly addictive!
                  Source: I work there

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Has opening of AMF been delayed to after-life?
                    I wasn't aware it was ever planned... did we make some kind of statement about opening it ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X