Linux Kernel Seeing Patches For NVIDIA's Proprietary Tegra Partition Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Kernel Seeing Patches For NVIDIA's Proprietary Tegra Partition Table

Phoronix: Linux Kernel Seeing Patches For NVIDIA's Proprietary Tegra Partition Table

As an obstacle for upstreaming some particularly older NVIDIA Tegra devices (namely those running Android) is that they have GPT entry at the wrong location or lacking at all for boot support. That missing or botched GPT support is because those older devices make use of a NVIDIA proprietary/closed-source table format. As such, support for this proprietary NVIDIA Tegra Partition Table is being worked on for the Linux kernel to provide better upstream kernel support on these consumer devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia using flakey proprietary protocols? Say it isn't so!!!!

Comment

Classic NVIDIA. Not even Android phones do this dumb shit and always rely on dts or hardcoded partitions in some file in the initramfs.

Comment

Just another one of the many reasons why I choose to not support nVidia. I'd rather have lesser hardware than support these kind of braindead decisions.

Comment

waaaa waaaa waaa. That's all I hear lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
            waaaa waaaa waaa. That's all I hear lol.
            Get out, you're nothing but a lot of talk and a NVIDIA badge

Comment

So the GPT hack goes way back to the early Android days.
              SoC partitions were all non standard, and kept a backup GPT table in a non-standard location.
              This was the method for pretty much every SoC type for years.

This was one of the last hurdles before having official support for all of these old devices that we have been working to support.

Comment

This seems to be about really old devices, around 10 year old hardware. Probably Nexus 3 used Tegra.

Their Tegra series have open protocols and they have been trying to push open source support for Tegra as per these Phoronix headlines.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
                  Their Tegra series have open protocols and they have been trying to push open source support for Tegra as per these Phoronix headlines.
                  How dare you bring water to the weekly Nvidia bonfire! Pitchforks, fuel or rope next time if you want to be one of the cool kids.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

How dare you bring water to the weekly Nvidia bonfire! Pitchforks, fuel or rope next time if you want to be one of the cool kids.
                    Aww dammit, I only brought feathers.tgz T_T

On a more serious note, Nvidia still got a long way to go, but from what I'm seeing they are slowly turning the boat towards the open source straits. I just hope their captain doesn't steer them after another shiny treasure before they get there!
                    Last edited by wertigon; 28 February 2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X