Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Gallium3D Finally Seeing Mesa Shader Disk Cache For Faster Game Load Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Gallium3D Finally Seeing Mesa Shader Disk Cache For Faster Game Load Times

Phoronix: Nouveau Gallium3D Finally Seeing Mesa Shader Disk Cache For Faster Game Load Times

While the open-source Intel and Radeon OpenGL drivers within Mesa have long employed an on-disk shader cache to help with game load times by being able to load previously compiled shaders from disk, the Nouveau "NVC0" Gallium3D driver is on the heels of finally seeing similar support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"sub-optimal"? It is utterly useless for gaming without the proprietary driver. Buy AMD. They're not perfect (proprietary signed firmwares) but they're pretty damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
      "sub-optimal"? It is utterly useless for gaming without the proprietary driver. Buy AMD. They're not perfect (proprietary signed firmwares) but they're pretty damn good.
      I have to recommend getting at least an RX 470 or better for gaming. Pre-Polaris cards can still be a bit of a crapshoot if they'll work good with AMDGPU under gaming loads.

Comment

Nice to see Nouveau Gallium3D being developed on, My laptops only have intel and nvidia graphics card. It is almost impossible by a laptop with amd graphics card with good prices here in sweden. At moment I running nvidia own driver in debian. I am waiting on nvidia releasing the firmware that are need it for reclock, then I will switch to Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLord View Post
          I am waiting on nvidia releasing the firmware that are need it for reclock, then I will switch to Nouveau.
          When that will happen (if ever) you will probably have already changed your laptop.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            I have to recommend getting at least an RX 470 or better for gaming. Pre-Polaris cards can still be a bit of a crapshoot if they'll work good with AMDGPU under gaming loads.
            I don't know... I have a R9 290 and it runs almost flawlessly. Performance and features noticeably improve every few months. Granted, I have had issues with DC/DAL but I don't need that anyway.

I'm going to keep running this GPU until 4K gaming becomes reasonably priced.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I don't know... I have a R9 290 and it runs almost flawlessly. Performance and features noticeably improve every few months. Granted, I have had issues with DC/DAL but I don't need that anyway.

I'm going to keep running this GPU until 4K gaming becomes reasonably priced.
              I only said that because I still see posts about the earlier GCN cards having random issues combined with the 480/580 having a nice price/performance ratio for 1080p.

I have the same plan with my 580...especially since 4K means I'll need to upgrade EVERYTHING...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I only said that because I still see posts about the earlier GCN cards having random issues combined with the 480/580 having a nice price/performance ratio for 1080p.

I have the same plan with my 580...especially since 4K means I'll need to upgrade EVERYTHING...
                I used a RX 580 for 4K gaming relatively nicely.

With that said though, with two different RX 580 GPUs, and a RX 560, I had issues with a display at 4K@60Hz with HDMI. There's other reports related to this from others, which makes it sound like a possible hardware flaw with Polaris GPUs in-general. I've tried several different cables at varying lengths, all HDMI 2.0 4K@60Hz certified. The fix I had for this was to create a custom 4K@60Hz resolution with CVT-RB timings (lower pixel rate from 594MHz to 533MHz). Worked fine on Windows and Linux, and also macOS after I had to buy SwitchResX.

Meanwhile, I take the same display, one of the certified cables, and hook it to a laptop with a GTX 1060 (HDMI port wired to it), and the connection is stable and works perfectly. Prior to this, I was assuming it was the display, but now I'm certain it was the AMD GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                  With that said though, with two different RX 580 GPUs, and a RX 560, I had issues with a display at 4K@60Hz with HDMI
                  i have no issues with 580 and 1080p@240hz via displayport(i mean get your priorities right). as a bonus point usable 4k@240hz seems so far in future that i don't have to worry about it right now

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                    With that said though, with two different RX 580 GPUs, and a RX 560, I had issues with a display at 4K@60Hz with HDMI. There's other reports related to this from others, which makes it sound like a possible hardware flaw with Polaris GPUs in-general. I've tried several different cables at varying lengths, all HDMI 2.0 4K@60Hz certified. The fix I had for this was to create a custom 4K@60Hz resolution with CVT-RB timings (lower pixel rate from 594MHz to 533MHz). Worked fine on Windows and Linux, and also macOS after I had to buy SwitchResX.
                    Outside of that overclocking/multi-monitor bug, I don't have any complaints with mine @ 1080p. IMHO, their sweet-spot is 2k freesync.

Over the years I've read posts suggesting that AMDGPU's HDMI code isn't as good/complete as their code for other video outputs and wonder if your issues aren't related to that.

Comment

Working...
                    X