Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Open-Source Developer Has Been Working On "FGKASLR" For Better Kernel Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Open-Source Developer Has Been Working On "FGKASLR" For Better Kernel Security

Phoronix: Intel Open-Source Developer Has Been Working On "FGKASLR" For Better Kernel Security

As another step towards tightening up the Linux kernel security, Intel's Kristen Carlson Accardi has proposed "FGKASLR" as a significant step forward for better enhancing the Kernel Address Space Layout Randomization...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting concept, gibberish name. I thought Michael was making a joke.

Would anyone be too offended if I followed that with "and then I realized a girl was behind it and it all started to make sense"?

Also gonna be interesting to see how it effects performance. Everything in italics seemed cryptic...like 5 to 9 pages of benchmarks cryptic

Comment

Seems like a similar idea to OpenBSD's KARL

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Interesting concept, gibberish name. I thought Michael was making a joke.
        It is literally "Fine Grained KASLR".
        It's unimaginative and is hard to pronounce. Programmers will be programmers, I guess.

Would anyone be too offended if I followed that with "and then I realized a girl was behind it and it all started to make sense"?
        To reach maximum triggering potential I suggest making some remarks on her looks too. You know, to make sure the reader understands that your idea of women is firmly rooted in the 50's.

from her github account at https://github.com/kaccardi

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          It is literally "Fine Grained KASLR".
          It's unimaginative and is hard to pronounce. Programmers will be programmers, I guess.

To reach maximum triggering potential I suggest making some remarks on her looks too. You know, to make sure the reader understands that your idea of women is firmly rooted in the 50's.

from her github account at https://github.com/kaccardi
          I like KARL as a name better. FGKASLR is like one of those unimaginative US Gov't acronyms. No pizazz.

RHASL. Randomized Hardened Address Space Layout. It's pronounced Razzle. As in Razzle Dazzle. I figure I should offer my own suggestion.

I don't think I should say more than I think she has a pretty smile. This isn't that kind of a site.

Comment

Interesting stuff. Nerds love weird but descriptive acronyms, nothing new.

Comment

The idea of wasting one more second when booting and losing some performance makes me question whether this idea is really good. The benefit is bigger number of possible orderings of relevant things in memory, but it's probably possible to figure out where each function is in memory anyway. I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Comment

Working...
              X