No announcement yet.

Google's OpenSK Offers An Open-Source Rust-Written Security Key Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's OpenSK Offers An Open-Source Rust-Written Security Key Implementation

Phoronix: Google's OpenSK Offers An Open-Source Rust-Written Security Key Implementation

Google today announced OpenSK as an open-source Rust-based security key implementation supporting FIDO U2F and FIDO2 standards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm surprised it wasn't written in Go.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I would be extremely surprised if it was written in Go.

Comment

The Rust code is written the Tock embedded operating system.
        I think there's supposed to be a preposition in there somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          They probably needed low-level access to some AES platform specific instructions. Plus, I did some hobby benchmarking once, Rust came up as 10x faster in number crunching.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

They probably needed low-level access to some AES platform specific instructions. Plus, I did some hobby benchmarking once, Rust came up as 10x faster in number crunching.
            You can do that in Go as well (or use the AES package in the stdlib). 10x faster in number crunching points to a bad comparison not a bad language, even JavaScript shouldn't be 10x slower in number crunching and it runs in a VM without proper native types.

The choice is almost certainly the direct result of Tock OS being written in Rust and providing a first class Rust userland library (libtock-rs) which replaces the need to port the stdlib of the chosen language for the app (note OpenSK is written with nostd).
            Last edited by zamadatix; 30 January 2020, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Let me know when they re-implement it in a proper language...

Comment

Originally posted by xinorom View Post
                Not sure what you mean by proper language, doesn't Nitrokey already meet that requirement?

Comment

Originally posted by xinorom View Post
                  Java or bust

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                    Not sure what you mean by proper language
                    I mean a language that won't be just another dead research project 10 years from now.

Comment

Working...
                    X