Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 Is The Version Now In Development With Its Skia + Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.0 Is The Version Now In Development With Its Skia + Vulkan Support

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.0 Is The Version Now In Development With Its Skia + Vulkan Support

LibreOffice 6.4 is set to be released in the coming days while succeeding that will now be LibreOffice 7.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can it run natively on Wayland without Xwayland?
    Is it beautiful and intuitive?

Microsoft Office is so great that it actually is fun to use.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I would call MS Office many things, but intuitive is not one of them.

Comment

Intuitiveness typically comes from whatever you learned first. MS Office is objectively intuitive, but, you're not going to think that way if you're so used to other tools. My main gripes about Office is how resource-intensive it is, the fact the ribbon bar is horizontal rather than vertical, and poor Linux functionality.

But for everyday use, LibreOffice is more than good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yes, it's been able to do run natively under Wayland for a while now.

Source: I use LibreOffice under GNOME Wayland, there's no XWayland involved.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Intuitiveness typically comes from whatever you learned first. MS Office is objectively intuitive, but, you're not going to think that way if you're so used to other tools. My main gripes about Office is how resource-intensive it is, the fact the ribbon bar is horizontal rather than vertical, and poor Linux functionality.

But for everyday use, LibreOffice is more than good enough.
            I haven't used LibreOffice or Microsoft Office much like for everyday.
            But the few times I used LibreOffice I found it to be good enough, and it did what I needed it to do.
            I think Microsoft Office was more beautiful and fun though.

Microsoft is also available on the web, so you can use it in a browser on Linux.

Comment

Does it really need Vulkan? Is rendering text and a bunch of graphs so intensive these days?
              Also, is Linux support for Vulkan up to the task? (Genuinely curious, I haven't paid much attention to that since I stopped gaming)

Comment

I hope they will not start the rapid pace version crap like Chome and Firefox.
                And I hope the Vulkan code will work good on both Windows 7 and Linux.
                I'm now curios how good is the KDE Plasma integration, have they improved anything in this area ?

Comment

Libre is sooo behind office. Its sad but I wish Libre got the resources it requires to make it competitive. There's not a slight chance it can compete with ms word or power point, lack of features, templates and even this decade's appearance.

Its blocking my family to moving to Linux actually. They just need office and work with files other people send as docx , pptx etc

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I hope they will not start the rapid pace version crap like Chome and Firefox.
                    I couldn't care less about version numbers. But then again, I don't care much about office suites, since Google Docs has been covering my needs for years.
                    And I hope the Vulkan code will work good on both Windows 7 and Linux.
                    This is literally what I was wondering about.
                    I'm now curios how good is the KDE Plasma integration, have they improved anything in this area ?
                    It's a GTK+ application, improvements will come from KDE's GTK+ integration.

Comment

Working...
                    X