Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 4 V3D Driver Reaches OpenGL ES 3.1 Conformance

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4 V3D Driver Reaches OpenGL ES 3.1 Conformance

The V3D Gallium3D driver that most notably offers the open-source graphics support for the Raspberry Pi 4 is now an official OpenGL ES 3.1 implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will be nice to have working ubuntu 19.10 desktop on RPI4
    but it is still buggy. Lots of artefacts

for example panfrost/lima is in much better shape
    I have ubuntu 19.10 desktop on RK3399 and it is really nice experience.

I only miss firefox webrender
    let's hope that mozzila will get webrender to better shape for linux distros

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      This is MASSIVE. Perfectly aligned with ex-Xorg devs now working to clean up clutter and openGL (es) on Mutter.

My GNOME@RPi4 is already pretty good. Looking forward to Spring time.
      That is good news, I have an up coming project that could use a PI.

Comment

FWIW: In the US, the retail chain Target now has a RaspPi section. Pi's, accessories, kits, etc.

It's not very big, but its the first big box retailer I have seen in the US to carry Pi as everyday stock.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          FWIW: In the US, the retail chain Target now has a RaspPi section. Pi's, accessories, kits, etc.

It's not very big, but its the first big box retailer I have seen in the US to carry Pi as everyday stock.
          Saw this to at my local Target the other day as well. For the longest time, you'd have to go to Microcenter for an Pi stuff. Remains to be seen how successful Target is by carrying it.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
            It will be nice to have working ubuntu 19.10 desktop on RPI4
            but it is still buggy. Lots of artefacts

for example panfrost/lima is in much better shape
            I have ubuntu 19.10 desktop on RK3399 and it is really nice experience.

I only miss firefox webrender
            let's hope that mozzila will get webrender to better shape for linux distros
            Well, Ubuntu 20.04 should be in way better shape for Pi. Raspberry Devs have been saying that 5.4 kernel is the next target for Raspbian for this year. If Ubuntu uses 5.5 kernel, should be ever better experience OOB. Excited to see how it runs on Pi4 when it releases this April.

Webrender made really great strides with FF71 & 72. 73 should be even better. I think FF74 will be out in time for inclusion in 20.04 with, hopefully, even better Webrender support.

Comment

GPU rendering on ARM SoCs is getting way better, if this keeps up, pretty soon, a RPi 4 will be faster than my HD4600....

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post

Well, Ubuntu 20.04 should be in way better shape for Pi. Raspberry Devs have been saying that 5.4 kernel is the next target for Raspbian for this year. If Ubuntu uses 5.5 kernel, should be ever better experience OOB. Excited to see how it runs on Pi4 when it releases this April.

Webrender made really great strides with FF71 & 72. 73 should be even better. I think FF74 will be out in time for inclusion in 20.04 with, hopefully, even better Webrender support.
                Any news about the Rustification of Firefox? I would like that Phoronix follows this more closely. I'm interested in how Mozilla is able to eat more of it's own dog food.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Any news about the Rustification of Firefox? I would like that Phoronix follows this more closely. I'm interested in how Mozilla is able to eat more of it's own dog food.
                  Do you mean existing FF code being moved to Rust code? I haven't seen specifics. FF73 bumped up to being compiled with Rust 1.39 and I'd likely guess FF74 will be on Rust 1.40. I follow Bugzilla almost daily and I can't recall anything specific or huge chunks of code being rewritten in Rust in any of the bug trackers. Someone can chime in if they have seen something like that. Whatever code is in FF and in Rust likely benefits when they bump up Rust versions. The closest I can think to Rust stuff and FF is Nicholas Nethercote's blog: https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/. He still codes for FF but has shifted a lot of focus to improving Rust. Which of course benefits FF directly/indirectly I guess.
                  Last edited by kozman; 17 January 2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post

Saw this to at my local Target the other day as well. For the longest time, you'd have to go to Microcenter for an Pi stuff. Remains to be seen how successful Target is by carrying it.
                    I gave up on Microcenter for Pi because the Pi section was usually a disaster. Like a tornado had come through and threw everything in the air and then let it land. The one thing I liked about Microcenter and SBC's was they kept stock of Jetson's, Leonardo's and other 3rd party boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X