Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5 + KDE Applications Matured Rather Well

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5 + KDE Applications Matured Rather Well

Most KDE users are probably happy with the current state of the Plasma desktop and the state of the KDE applications. There's certainly less bugs in recent releases, KWin and the overall desktop is in better standing (though still improvements to be made such as showcased by the likes of KWin low-latency) with reliable Wayland support, and most would probably agree that the work out of this open-source project matured rather well in recent years with their focus on enhancing usability and other areas...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kwin still a shit even on AMD GPUs. The hilarious is Kwin works like a charm on Intel GPUs.
    On Nvidia we know is Nvidia fault with the bullshit proprietary things. On AMD I don't know.

If you enable vsync on kwin you get a huge input lag and stutter. If you disable (some people recommend this) you get screen tearing. OpenGL 3.X or 2.X on compositor settings is about the same thing. Xrender is slow as hell (software rendering, duuhhh!)

Also, when they FINNALY gives some attention and fix these Kwin problems I'll try again.

They have a much better DE than Gnome, but has a shit compositor if compared with Mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      Kwin still a shit even on AMD GPUs. The hilarious is Kwin works like a charm on Intel GPUs.
      On Nvidia we know is Nvidia fault with the bullshit proprietary things. On AMD I don't know.

If you enable vsync on kwin you get a huge input lag and stutter. If you disable (some people recommend this) you get screen tearing. OpenGL 3.X or 2.X on compositor settings is about the same thing. Xrender is slow as hell (software rendering, duuhhh!)

Also, when they FINNALY gives some attention and fix these Kwin problems I'll try again.

They have a much better DE than Gnome, but has a shit compositor if compared with Mutter.
      I'm using nvidia proprietary with kde and vsync enabled and haven't had any problems. I haven't gamed on it yet so can't really comment on that but it works well with video playback.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
        It is fixed in kwin git-master and so will be with 5.18.

Comment

After using the KDE graphical update utility, discover, I do have to say it's one of the poorer showings of KDE and one of the pain points. I'm running Kubuntu 18.04 and when I launch discover it takes it like 30 seconds to show the packages, another minute to show what the actual size of the packages are, and then takes a good chuck of time to download and install the updates. Using the terminal or Muon are so much faster that discover isn't even in the same league.

Comment

Been having some occasional issues with SDDM lately, doesn't always happen but now and then I login and sometime has crashed, and its related to this. Restarting that crashed thing seems to completely crash the desktop. Going to need to take more notes next time it happens.

Failed to open authorization file "/var/run/sddm/{6dab2e06-ac15-4ad6-8b31-74e52865bea2}": No such file or directory

Comment

Don't use SDDM, it unnecessarily starts xorg and xwayland as root.

Comment

Its the recommended one for Plasma, I also like the customization options. What is a good alternative then?

Comment

Least trouble causes xinit, else there is only GDM fatty.

Comment

KDE and Gnome3 are bloated.

Comment

Working...
                    X