Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XWayland Gets Tidied Up Ahead Of The Holidays For The Eventual X.Org Server 1.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Gets Tidied Up Ahead Of The Holidays For The Eventual X.Org Server 1.21

Phoronix: XWayland Gets Tidied Up Ahead Of The Holidays For The Eventual X.Org Server 1.21

Sadly there still is no release plan for getting the long overdue X.Org Server 1.21 out the door and at this point is looking increasingly unlikely that it would land for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. But at least this extra time for X.Org Server 1.21 has allowed more XWayland changes to flow in...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We are desperately waiting for a new release of XWayland :-) It's a pity that the issues are not fixed in time in official releases!

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Olivier founded XFCE, left it for something better. Prepares Xwayland for the big X removal. Works on Mutter.
      https://gitlab.gnome.org/ofourdan
      Olivier Fourdan still works on Xfce, especially on Xfwm4, the window manager / compositor.
      He didn't "leave" Xfce for "something better", he works on Mutter as a part of his job at Red Hat (among other things).

Comment

R41N3R Don't worry. Xwayland fixes will be released in sync with GNOME releases.
        You already claimed this after xorg 1.20.6 release, and you were proved wrong:
        Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.20.6 Released With Many Bug Fixes - Helps XWayland, PRIME + Other Bits While it's taking painfully long to get X.Org Server 1.21 organized for release, at least in the interim there continues to be new xorg-server 1.20 point releases that back-port many of the prominent fixes... http://www.phoronix.com

Comment

R41N3R Don't worry. Xwayland fixes will be released in sync with GNOME releases.
          I do not care about Gnome releases and about your repeating/boring fanboy comments. I'm only interested when these issues are resolved technically in XWayland.

Comment

The real news about wayland is not xorg.... that is called xwayland. the real news is to issue how many programs are NATIVE WAYLAND until now. How many programs are native wayalnd until now!?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              The real news about wayland is not xorg.... that is called xwayland. the real news is to issue how many programs are NATIVE WAYLAND until now. How many programs are native wayalnd until now!?
              I use GNOME Wayland and the only applications I have that don't run natively under Wayland are games and any electron apps.

Any GTK (incl. Firefox) and QT applications are now running natively under Wayland.

Comment

I hope this gets merged before the new XWayland release:
                This patch attempts to resolve our XWayland multi dpi problem in a simple, yet effective way. More details about the technical solution are written down in the commit...

Comment

R41N3R Then you are going to wait on the GNOMErs to fix and release. Alternatively you can go back to your favorite desktop and ask them to apply 5 full time employees with same skills and experience as the GNOME ones. Good luck with that.
                  And the boring comments continue...

Comment

Spike29 Olivier’s stray patches months ago doesn’t count much. I wish he did more on that GTK desktop. It’s second most important desktop after all..
                    I'm pretty sure it's GNOME - KDE Plasma - Xfce in terms of popularity...

Comment

Working...
                    X