Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Announces Librem Server While Also Announcing Price Hikes On The Librem 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Announces Librem Server While Also Announcing Price Hikes On The Librem 5

Phoronix: Purism Announces Librem Server While Also Announcing Price Hikes On The Librem 5

If Purism didn't already have their hands full enough in working on the Librem 5 to make a fully functional Linux smartphone, the company announced today a forthcoming price hike for the device while also announcing their expansion into the server space.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this point I'm starting to lose trust in Purism. That price is ridiculous. I understand the price premium for something like the Fairphone (which is still "only" $450) and the somewhat high price for the Librem 5, but this is too much.
    And I think Raptor Computing Systems have shown, if you want a fully modern FOSS server, get a POWER system.

Comment

I reckon Librem Server will come with Intel ME backdoor included? From what I understand Intel ME is undefeatable and cannot be removed in Haswell and post Haswell Intel CPUs due to Intel Boot Guard getting in the way and turning your system into a brick in any attempt of Intel ME removal is made.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        I reckon Librem Server will come with Intel ME backdoor included? From what I understand Intel ME is undefeatable and cannot be removed in Haswell and post Haswell Intel CPUs due to Intel Boot Guard getting in the way and turning your system into a brick in any attempt of Intel ME removal is made.
        Now this subject would make a good phoronix article IMO.

Comment

Battery life is 1h? Do you guys not have power banks?!?

Still too cheap for me. I will wait for Purism Librem 5 Standard Edition assembled in China for 999 EUR or better - Purism Librem 5 The Same Standard Edition assembled not in China for 9999 EUR.

PS. I'm very excited about next Purism announcement. I think that it will be electric car. Finally Musk will have THE REAL competition!

Comment

Purism is purely dead...

Comment

I asked for a refund on the Librem 5 recently and suprisingly enough got it fairly soon. So they're not broke yet but I wouldn't be too optimistic. I'm sad too because I really wish they'd succeed, just not this way. The phone is already 2-3x more expensive "just because open source and hw switches". Yes I understand their R&D is expensive and yes we need a free phone like this, but the constant price hikes, schitzophrenic behavior and bad rep of their CEO's practices made me pull the plug on this one.

Between Jolla and Purism the choices are really bleak...

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                Between russia funded closed hardware/software and crowd funded open hardware/software. Yea, sure it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ruff View Post
                  Between russia funded closed hardware/software and crowd funded open hardware/software. Yea, sure it is.
                  I don't disagree with your assesment of Jolla but how is the current status of Purism not bleak?

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                    I asked for a refund on the Librem 5 recently and suprisingly enough got it fairly soon. So they're not broke yet but I wouldn't be too optimistic. I'm sad too because I really wish they'd succeed, just not this way. The phone is already 2-3x more expensive "just because open source and hw switches". Yes I understand their R&D is expensive and yes we need a free phone like this, but the constant price hikes, schitzophrenic behavior and bad rep of their CEO's practices made me pull the plug on this one.

Get yourself a copy of DSM-5. It has a lot more descriptive, colourful, accurate, and appropriate terms--for this situation--than simple "schizophrenia".

Comment

Working...
                    X