Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Popular Linux / Open-Source News Of This Decade

Phoronix: The Most Popular Linux / Open-Source News Of This Decade

With 2019 and in turn this decade quickly drawing to a close, here is a look back at the most popular open-source/Linux news on Phoronix from 2010 to present. So far this decade on Phoronix has been 27,840 original news articles pertaining to Linux/open-source/hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know it's useless to protest this, people just are unable to think straight, but this decade is not quickly drawing to a close, that will take another year.

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
      I know it's useless to protest this, people just are unable to think straight, but this decade is not quickly drawing to a close, that will take another year.
      That is simply not true, while centuries and millennia are numbered starting from year 1, decade is commonly referring to a period of ten years starting with the same digit, because nobody uses ordinal number for them (you don't say e.g. that we are in 201st decade), so the rule that they need to start with 1 does not really make sense here.

Comment

that all depends on where you define the start and end. 2010-2019 seems like a fine ten year bracket to me.

Also - there is a lot of more recent articles (or at least, it appears that way) - congrats on getting more and more popular over the years!

Comment

Bah, the same mistake I routinely see. The decade (or century, or millennium) does not end with a year that ends in 9, it ends with the year after that. Because there was no year 0, no decade/century/millennium starts with a year that ends with a 0 either.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Bah, the same mistake I routinely see. The decade (or century, or millennium) does not end with a year that ends in 9, it ends with the year after that. Because there was no year 0, no decade/century/millennium starts with a year that ends with a 0 either.
            The 90s ended in 1999.

Decades are counted differently to centuries and millenniums.

Comment

If it comes to it, my vote for the most influential company for Linux... call it company of the decade: Valve for their whole commitment to contribute to Linux. I mean they brought Steam client, SteamOS and Proton... My impression is that their move was the tipping point for Linux desktop / end-user apps. Also, I believe many other companies got involved into Linux based systems because of Valve, either under contract or, harder to check, they were simply influenced. They have shown businesses can be built and scale on ecosystems for Linux end-user apps.

Comment

Originally posted by bogdanbiv View Post
                If it comes to it, my vote for the most influential company for Linux... call it company of the decade: Valve for their whole commitment to contribute to Linux. I mean they brought Steam client, SteamOS and Proton... My impression is that their move was the tipping point for Linux desktop / end-user apps. Also, I believe many other companies got involved into Linux based systems because of Valve, either under contract or, harder to check, they were simply influenced. They have shown businesses can be built and scale on ecosystems for Linux end-user apps.
                Mine would be a tie between AMD's AMDGPU and Mantle. IMHO, the ripple effects from either decision have had more positive impacts and changes for gaming & desktop Linux than anything else this decade...and Windows for that matter.

Mantle brought us Vulkan which brought us better native Linux gaming and D*VK which has made Linux damn-near as good as Windows outside of DRM infected crap.

AMDGPU gave reasons for Intel and AMD to work together on their GPU drivers leading to better NIR, gallium-nine, major OpenGL version advances, and driver standardizations that make it easier for one to write a program and have less workarounds to deal with...right up until some asshole with an Nvidia GPU reports an issue on GitHub...that said, "workarounds for Nvidia" is better than "workarounds for Intel, AMD, and Nvidia" in some git log.

AMD has kicked some ass this decade.

Comment

Originally posted by bogdanbiv View Post
                  If it comes to it, my vote for the most influential company for Linux...
                  Canonical, RedHat, Suse? One can certainly suggest that without them someone else would have stepped forward, but they made Linux something that enterprises can use, and without the enterprise support (i.e. lots and lots of money) Linux might still be just a tinkers place.

Comment

I have to admit, that you are very attentive and picky) But you cheered me up)) Thanks for this!​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X