Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 32 Will Still Allow Empty Passwords By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 32 Will Still Allow Empty Passwords By Default

Last month was a proposal for Fedora 32 to disallow empty passwords for local users by default but at today's Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) they completely shot down that proposal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Windows XP allows blank passwords. That's before Windows Vista came along with User Account Control.

And even Windows 9x is a single-user operating system with administrative privileges.

Comment

I don't care about blank passwords, actually it is quite convenient with empty passwords on your personal desktop computer at home that only you use. I lock my door.

I would prefer security in the form of EAL4, sandboxes, containers. Things like AppArmor, SELinux, Flatpak, Snap, seccomp, etc.
      Imagine running Fedora on top of seL4 or Zircon.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I don't care about blank passwords
        There are always good use cases (most obviously for guest or kiosk style logins), and no one was suggesting disabling empty/no passwords as a possible configuration. The discussion was whether the defaults should be changed to make it much harder to have accounts with empty passwords. The recommendation to have a password has not changed (and the recommendation remains a yes), but the decision means that it will not get any harder to have an empty password for those that believe it is the correct option for their use case (a number of the later discussion points went off on partial tangent topics such as systemd-homed, encrypted filesystems/home, and secure boot). The decision also does not preclude individuals disabling blank passwords for their use cases.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
          There are always good use cases (most obviously for guest or kiosk style logins)...
          Speaking of kiosk, the recently released Firefox 71 now have support for kiosk mode using the -kiosk command-line option.

Comment

It would have been a shame. Gnome Shell just got better support for password less polkit dialogs (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/829).

Comment

I lock my door.
              (laughs in LockPickingLawyer)

Comment

A viable solution would be to disallow empty passwords to sudo.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  It would have been a shame. Gnome Shell just got better support for password less polkit dialogs (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/829).
                  Oh, this is really nice! 👍

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  A viable solution would be to disallow empty passwords to sudo.
                  But if you only have one account and cant sudo then I guess you cant create a new account.

Comment

Oh, this is really nice! 👍

But if you only have one account and cant sudo then I guess you cant create a new account.
                    You would use polkit instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X