Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt 5.14 On Track For Releasing Next Week With New Scenegraph Renderer, Better HiDPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.14 On Track For Releasing Next Week With New Scenegraph Renderer, Better HiDPI

Phoronix: Qt 5.14 On Track For Releasing Next Week With New Scenegraph Renderer, Better HiDPI

While missing the original release target of the end of November, The Qt Company is buttoning up Qt 5.14 for debut next week. Today, however, marks the release candidate availability for those wanting to test out this forthcoming Qt5 release prior to more of the development efforts shifting to Qt 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm trying the Plasma desktop again after about a 2-year hiatus, and I am really impressed. This has matured into a better DE than anything from Apple or MS in my opinion. I hope the KDE community continues moving forward with this same vision, and doesn't scrap it all and start over like they did with KDE 4 because of changes to Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      I hope the KDE community continues moving forward with this same vision, and doesn't scrap it all and start over like they did with KDE 4 because of changes to Qt.
      It looks though like this is exactly what's about to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        I'm trying the Plasma desktop again after about a 2-year hiatus, and I am really impressed. This has matured into a better DE than anything from Apple or MS in my opinion. I hope the KDE community continues moving forward with this same vision, and doesn't scrap it all and start over like they did with KDE 4 because of changes to Qt.
        I wouldn't be surprised if Plasma gets another rethink with Qt6, but there shouldn't be another KDELibs4 -> KF5 style break again, and there's not really any new flashy technology on the table like there was with the Qt4->Qt5 transition with QML either, so I expect the transition to be relatively calm in comparison to what's occurred before.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          It looks though like this is exactly what's about to happen.
          nah, the impression that I get is that this is much more of a smooth transition.

They have a really stable product in Plasma now and with a focus on consistency, KDE apps and Wayland for the next few years we should basically see the same with increasing usability and polish.

Comment

Indeed, the two things letting down Plasma and its ecosystem right now are Wayland support and KDE apps, particularly enterprise-y, groupware-y apps. The desktop itself is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
              Indeed, the two things letting down Plasma and its ecosystem right now are Wayland support and KDE apps, particularly enterprise-y, groupware-y apps. The desktop itself is excellent.
              A key issue is lack of effort on the mail/calendar/etc front, (with perhaps Calligra as a nice to have). If KDE's apps, with its extensive library system atop Qt, had a fraction of the effort going elsewhere, we'd all be better off IMHO.

(Ex KOffice, Kontact, Calligra, kdelibs, etc. developer, and still lover of all things KDE).

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                And KWin. Can't use it without kwin-lowlatency, even on this pretty recent, otherwise excellent hardware (2017/2018). But GNOME's Mutter isn't anything to write home about either. Seems like hardly anyone knows how to create a proper window manager (for DE inclusion, that is, so don't come at me i3/Fluxbox/etc. users!).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And KWin. Can't use it without kwin-lowlatency, even on this pretty recent, otherwise excellent hardware (2017/2018). But GNOME's Mutter isn't anything to write home about either. Seems like hardly anyone knows how to create a proper window manager (for DE inclusion, that is, so don't come at me i3/Fluxbox/etc. users!).
                  I'm a happy user of sway, the window manager is very good.

Comment

Working...
                  X