Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMs Can Finally Hibernate Under Microsoft Hyper-V With Linux 5.5

Phoronix: VMs Can Finally Hibernate Under Microsoft Hyper-V With Linux 5.5

It seems like the feature would have been wired up long ago, but with the Linux 5.5 kernel guest virtual machines running on Microsoft Hyper-V should be able to successfully hibernate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally? I've been asking for the ability to hibernate Linux processes for ages. Seems a bit insane to me that I should prefer running things in VMs just to be allowed to save state. Sort of like, if I have to reboot, I should kill -9 my Firefox so that I can get my tabs back. Why is it designed that way? I don't understand.

Comment

Why would anyone even want to hibernate a VM?

VMs are supposed to be either on or off. You spin up a VM for as long as it is required, then shut it down when it's no longer needed. It's not like mobile computing devices such as laptops where the device needs to be on and off multiple times in a short span of time.

Comment

What about DaaS (Desktop as a Service)? You pay hourly and don't want to start all software and open all project to the last position everytime. PS: There's no spinning, cloud providers now use SSD :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Why would anyone even want to hibernate a VM?

VMs are supposed to be either on or off. You spin up a VM for as long as it is required, then shut it down when it's no longer needed. It's not like mobile computing devices such as laptops where the device needs to be on and off multiple times in a short span of time.
          You might have a multi gigabyte project active in an IDE and don't want to close it. With all the 3rd party development tools.

Comment

Working...
          X