Compiz Sees New Update Ahead Of The Holidays - But It's Mainly Bug Fixing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz Sees New Update Ahead Of The Holidays - But It's Mainly Bug Fixing

Phoronix: Compiz Sees New Update Ahead Of The Holidays - But It's Mainly Bug Fixing

Over a decade ago all the Linux desktop rage was over the likes of Compiz, Beryl, Compiz Fusion, and the like... Ah the memories. But to much surprise, Compiz saw a new release today. Compiz 0.9.14.1 isn't the most exciting update, but the project is still alive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have wobbly windows enabled in Plasma... just another option in System Settings -> Workspace Behaviour -> Wobbly Windows

Comment

I'm still using Unity 7 on 18.04 .. really comfortable with my workflows! Who knows if Ubuntu 20.04's Gnome Shell will be able to finally replace it..

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        I have wobbly windows enabled in Plasma... just another option in System Settings -> Workspace Behaviour -> Wobbly Windows
        Main Compiz features are now part of KDE. When Compiz was still commonly used, KDE devs got tired of the diverse issues when running Compiz+KDE and decided to just integrate its features in KDE. Since then, KDE people stopped using Compiz in favor of KDE's desktop effects. Now, Compiz is essentially dead, but we still have desktop effects in KDE (disabled by default). I do not know to which extent other desktop environments integrate Compiz-like effects.

Comment

Do anyone still use Compiz?
          Even KDE4 had those effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            MATE provides Compiz. I use MATE but don't enable the Compiz stuff - presumably others do.

Comment

The problem is that now that not even Canonical uses it anymore, the software will inevitably be left to die, on the other hand it will not be brought to Wayland and Canonical does maintenance only for the plugins used by Unity, which by the end of 16.04 will be abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                I've used the 0.8.x branch on top of xfce before. It makes a nice combo.

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                  I'm still using Unity 7 on 18.04 .. really comfortable with my workflows! Who knows if Ubuntu 20.04's Gnome Shell will be able to finally replace it..
                  I recently upgraded to 19.10 hoping to also adopt Gnome Shell, but it's still noticeably slower than Unity (although nowhere near as bad as in 18.04) and under Wayland I got a crash after a few minutes, so I just went back to rock solid Unity.

Comment

Compiz, that is not a name I've heard in...YEARS.

It is kinda a shame. When I first got back to linux on the desktop my previous experience being GNOME 1 on Red Hat(NOT RHEL, NOT FEDORA) 6, was the UI was fucking terrible.

Ubuntu 10.04, with Gnome 2, and Compiz, my mind was fucking blown coming from Windows XP. Wobbly windows? The cube? windows could zip, zoom and cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X