GNOME 3.35.2 Released As Another Step Towards The GNOME 3.36 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.35.2 Released As Another Step Towards The GNOME 3.36 Desktop

Phoronix: GNOME 3.35.2 Released As Another Step Towards The GNOME 3.36 Desktop

GNOME 3.35.2 is out as the latest development release on the route to GNOME 3.36 due out next March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What would be the proper place to report two of my issues I'm having with GNOME 3.34?

GNOME's Magnifier and Touchscreen
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I'm not sure if I should report a bug related to either Mutter or libinput regarding touchscreen in a convertible laptop. As far as I know, this will probably not affect Librem 5, as Librem 5 uses a different keyboard and compositor.

GNOME Magnifier not taking advantage of 200% DPI scaling
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I have already reported the bug about the magnifier not working with HiDPI, but got no response so far.
    I want to share a YouTube video about the issues due to Zoom feature not taking advantage of HiDPI scaling. Do excuse the flickering, as my computer can't...

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf
      Did they fork git already? (too offensive name, IMHO)... Or maybe they could change to SVN...
      It was third party developers that forked GIMP. Not GNOME project. So your comment doesn't make much sense

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It was third party developers that forked GIMP. Not GNOME project. So your comment doesn't make much sense
        Also, the name "git" is a perfectly good verb in the American Southwest and in gaming circles (git gud). That's a little different.

Comment

Cinnamon DE is best outcome of Gnome 3 ..

Comment

Hello Grayson,

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            What would be the proper place to report two of my issues I'm having with GNOME 3.34?

GNOME's Magnifier and Touchscreen

I'm not sure if I should report a bug related to either Mutter or libinput regarding touchscreen in a convertible laptop. As far as I know, this will probably not affect Librem 5, as Librem 5 uses a different keyboard and compositor.

GNOME Magnifier not taking advantage of 200% DPI scaling
            The issue seems affecting mainly Xorg session. GNOME Magnifier works as intended on Wayland session as tested on Fedora 31 Workstation running on Wayland by default. The hardware for test is 2018 HP Envy x360 Ryzen 2500U Convertible.

I have already reported the bug about the magnifier not working with HiDPI, but got no response so far.
            I want to share a YouTube video about the issues due to Zoom feature not taking advantage of HiDPI scaling. Do excuse the flickering, as my computer can't...

Any help is appreciated.

Your bug report is incomplete. Make sure to include the hardware information reproducing the issue, the name of the distribution where the issue occurred and which session (Xorg or Wayland).

Comment

This one should also help:
              There are notably 4 classes of GTypes where a girepository lookup might fail: - GTypes from private interfaces in public objects (eg. MetaCullable in mutter) - GTypes for private base...

gjs in gnome-shell calls that g_irepository_find_by_type function with private gtypes a lot for some reason. So lots of useless "scan the whole public repository for the type, only to find nothing and return NULL" will be gone in 3.36. It could improve animation performance and reduce lag on older machines, and save power on all machines.

Comment

For me, if they drop javascript for extensions (that OFTEN causes freezes and crashes to my gnome-shell) would be a GREAT advance....

Comment

Originally posted by andrea76 View Post
                  For me, if they drop javascript for extensions (that OFTEN causes freezes and crashes to my gnome-shell) would be a GREAT advance....
                  Well nobody forces you to use extensions, you can use GNOME without them if you want. An extension system is kind of nice I guess. I guess there would be same problem if there was another extension system.
                  Extension developers could write their extensions in TypeScript then compile them down to JavaScript.

Comment

Originally posted by andrea76
                    If you think using a different language would fix the issue then you don’t understand the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X