Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Solaris 11.4 SRU15 Has A Number Of Package Updates

Phoronix: Oracle Solaris 11.4 SRU15 Has A Number Of Package Updates

While there is no sign of Solaris 11.5 or Solaris.Next (last year was a road-map pointing to Solaris 11.Next in H2'19 or H1'20 that has since been removed), Oracle does continue putting out more updates to the Solaris 11.4 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Keep on milking that cow.

Comment

I guess they have no further plans for Solaris and are just releasing this minor update because of existing contractual obligations. I believe Solaris is dead.

Comment

It really makes me sad what Oracle did to Solaris. I really hope that anybody who needs Solaris can switch to Illumos based distros to stop giving Oracle money since they aren't really working on the product anymore and appear to not give a crap about the product.

Comment

Being an ex-Solaris guy and a huge proponent of sparc and sparc64 in their respective days, I truly feel sorry for anyone stuck in a Solaris shop in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            It really makes me sad what Oracle did to Solaris. I really hope that anybody who needs Solaris can switch to Illumos based distros to stop giving Oracle money since they aren't really working on the product anymore and appear to not give a crap about the product.
            illumos is dying too, most of their corporate zfs contributors went linux

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
              Being an ex-Solaris guy and a huge proponent of sparc and sparc64 in their respective days, I truly feel sorry for anyone stuck in a Solaris shop in 2019.
              Sparc64 seems like such a cool architecture just like IBM Power, but gaining traction against the entrenched x86_64 is a huge pain. Would be cool to see SMT4 or SMT8 come to x86 someday. Would love to get my hand on a modern Sparc64 or one of those Raptor Power boards someday.

Comment

SPARC had a chance, back in nineties. Windows NT was supposed to be ported to SPARC but the project was canceled later. If it had gone through, we might have had x86 & SPARC wars..

Comment

Working...
                X