No announcement yet.

Librsvg Continues Rust Conquest, Pulls In CSS Parsing Code From Mozilla Servo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Librsvg Continues Rust Conquest, Pulls In CSS Parsing Code From Mozilla Servo

Phoronix: Librsvg Continues Rust Conquest, Pulls In CSS Parsing Code From Mozilla Servo

For about three years now GNOME's SVG rendering library has been transitioning to Rust. This library, librsvg, now makes further use of Rust around its CSS parsing code and Mozilla's Servo is doing some of that heavy lifting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Right, now we just need a new C implementation of librsvg.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
      No, Rust is just as fast as C but with the benefits of being safer.

Comment

I agree but if you want a homogeneous, clean environment... simply don't use Gnome, it is a sinking ship. After all, these are the same guys who dragged in the entirety of Mono framework for a tiny note taking application (Tomboy) XD.

I am pretty sure the OpenBSD guys will get round to writing an svg library in correct ANSI C, one day. Then the world will jump to using that.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          I am pretty sure the OpenBSD guys will get round to writing an svg library in correct ANSI C, one day. Then the world will jump to using that.
          What would be the advantage of C over Rust these days? I mean, they both translate to LLVM generated code anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            What would be the advantage of C over Rust these days? I mean, they both translate to LLVM generated code anyway.
            Last time I checked GCC does not output llvm bytecode

Comment

True, but then again gcc isn't inherently better than clang/llvm, so just because you can run C code through gcc doesn't guarantee better code.

Comment

I agree but if you want a homogeneous, clean environment... simply don't use Gnome, it is a sinking ship. After all, these are the same guys who dragged in the entirety of Mono framework for a tiny note taking application (Tomboy) XD.

Tomboy wasn't even ported to GTK3 or a core GNOME app.

I actually think it's a shame the GTK# bindings are in a pretty dire state.

Comment

No, but there is an ongoing effort to add an gcc backend to the rust compiler. So once that landed, you can use that instead of something llvm backed.

Until it lands, you can use mrustc, a rust to c transpiler - for exotic platforms or as bootstrap mechanism, until rust compilers are more common.

Comment

Why would they?

Comment

Working...
                    X