No announcement yet.

Pre-Loaded Linux PCs Continue Increasing - TUXEDO Computers Sets Up New Offices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Loaded Linux PCs Continue Increasing - TUXEDO Computers Sets Up New Offices

Phoronix: Pre-Loaded Linux PCs Continue Increasing - TUXEDO Computers Sets Up New Offices

From System76 setting up their own manufacturing facility for Linux desktops to Dell offering more Linux laptop options, the demand for pre-loaded Linux PCs continues to increase. One of the smaller Linux PC vendors also now expanding is German-based TUXEDO Computers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Tuxedo_os is Ubuntu and GNOME based. Like most OEM OSs these days.
    right this is one of my reasons not to buy tuxedo

Comment

Originally posted by gorgone View Post

You can always replace the OS with another distro well in the knowledge that the hardware is well supported by Linux.

Comment

which do you buy then?

Comment

Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Same here.
            which do you buy?

Comment

Congrats to Tuxedo on the new offices

Now offer AMD GPUs :P

Comment

Their website is https://www.tuxedocomputers.com, in case some of the above commenters have a change of heart

Comment

The biggest Problem for me is the poor support.
                  hardware quality is only ok.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

which do you buy?
                    85-90% of what's on the market, even more-so in regards to workstation grade hardware and desktops. Pretty much all desktops, workstations, SBCs, routers, etc work on Linux OOTB with next to no or no issues.

Laptops and their networking hardware and/or custom keyboards/input methods usually cause the biggest Linux issues and Dell, System76, Lenovo, and more have us covered pretty well. After that, it's systems that come with brand new AMD GPUs and the user doesn't have any amd-staging experience to run that until their driver gets mainlined.

Basically, all one has to do is research their laptop ahead of purchase (which one should do regardless of the OS) and check if their system's kernel is new enough to un their new AMD GPU.

AMD could do a better job on that by listing a minimal Linux kernel version on their product spec pages. This is what they list for my RX 580:

Code:
                      Windows 10 - 64-Bit Edition
                      Windows 7 - 32-Bit Edition
                      Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition
                      [B]Ubuntu x86 64-Bit[/B]
                      [B]Linux x86_64[/B]
                    Ubuntu could be "Ubuntu x86_64 16.04+" and Linux could be "Linux x86_64 4.15+".

Comment

Working...
                    X