Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Updates Its Kernel Installation Handling

Phoronix: Arch Linux Updates Its Kernel Installation Handling

Arch Linux has updated the behavior when installing the linux, linux-lts, linux-zen, and linux-hardened kernel options on this popular distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I made a mistake by mounting the EFI partition on /boot.

Comment

so where is the kernel placed by default?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        If I'm reading this correctly, most end-users won't see any changes, it's just that the logic of kernel placement was moved from kernel package to mkinitcpio hooks.

The fact they haven't made dracut to handle it is pretty bad. Given they try to migrate from initcpio to dracut, and were calling for testing, they shouldn't have shipped this change without first making dracut to work with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
          The fact they haven't made dracut to handle it is pretty bad. Given they try to migrate from initcpio to dracut, and were calling for testing, they shouldn't have shipped this change without first making dracut to work with that.
          It is first step of migration to dracut. TWith this change they removed mkinitcpio specific logic from kernel packages. Then plan is to add similar hooks to dracut and allow dracut and mkinitcpio to coexist:

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            In the modules directory. i.e.: /usr/lib/modules/5.3.10-arch1-1/vmlinuz. mkinitcpio then copies it to the /boot directory.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              I made a mistake by mounting the EFI partition on /boot.
              Why is that a mistake?

Comment

IIRC Dracut has been used by Mandriva/Mageia for years, Why has Arch decided to go with it ?

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                  IIRC Dracut has been used by Mandriva/Mageia for years, Why has Arch decided to go with it ?
                  What kind of advantage does dracut provide? Some Arch users don't even use initramfs.

Comment

Which configs have to be made to use dracut on Arch Linux? The wiki is almost empty. Hope the logic is simple like mkinitcpio.conf and that it will help to reduce boot time.

Comment

Working...
                    X