Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git 2.24 Released With Commit Graphs By Default, Adoption Of Contributor Covenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.24 Released With Commit Graphs By Default, Adoption Of Contributor Covenant

Phoronix: Git 2.24 Released With Commit Graphs By Default, Adoption Of Contributor Covenant

Released earlier this week was Git 2.24, which pardon for not punctually covering due to being extra busy this week, but this revision control system update is nevertheless an interesting update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah yes, another great project decides to poison itself with toxic and regressive politics. Fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
      Ah yes, another great project decides to poison itself with toxic and regressive politics. Fascinating.
      It is fascinating that, despite all hand wringing, whinging and dire expectations, that projects that have adopted these inclusivity codes have yet to blow up in a cloud of SJW infighting.

maybe, just maybe... they work

Comment

Hi Michael - Congrats again on the new arrival mate - hope you are taking time now to bond with your little one

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

It is fascinating that, despite all hand wringing, whinging and dire expectations, that projects that have adopted these inclusivity codes have yet to blow up in a cloud of SJW infighting.

maybe, just maybe... they work
          Replace inclusivity with exclusivity, and you've got it right, because thats what they are. I will never contribute to projects adopting these insane statements, purely on principle, and you know what's so ironic, I am a minority, but I've got the wrong politics and principles.

Comment

Replace inclusivity with exclusivity, and you've got it right, because thats what they are. I will never contribute to projects adopting these insane statements, purely on principle, and you know what's so ironic, I am a minority, but I've got the wrong politics and principles.
            I have gone and read the CoC, it seems pretty standard - the tl;dr is "be nice to people" - how is it a bad thing?

Comment

If you are a contributor to any of these many projects which have adopted this code of conduct or something similar, what do you do when they introduced this ... how exactly does it impact you? You say that you will withhold your contributions from any projects which have adopted inclusive behaviour, but this is you boycotting, that's different from you being excluded. Most employment opportunities require you to accept similar standard of behaviour, so perhaps you feel your space in the world is shrinking. But I don't see why this code would stop you from contributing.

We don't see Linux falling apart ... it adopted the code of conduct 14 months ago. This list of big projects using this code reads like a who's who of major projects. These initiatives are consistently driven by senior members of the respective projects.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
                If you are a contributor to any of these many projects which have adopted this code of conduct or something similar, what do you do when they introduced this ... how exactly does it impact you? You say that you will withhold your contributions from any projects which have adopted inclusive behaviour, but this is you boycotting, that's different from you being excluded. Most employment opportunities require you to accept similar standard of behaviour, so perhaps you feel your space in the world is shrinking. But I don't see why this code would stop you from contributing.

We don't see Linux falling apart ... it adopted the code of conduct 14 months ago. This list of big projects using this code reads like a who's who of major projects. These initiatives are consistently driven by senior members of the respective projects.
                There are the young autistic and abrasive geniuses that haven't yet learned to be nice. I guess a lot of the senior now embracing the code of conduct would have been kicked out citing such just a couple of decades earlier

Why any body demands good people skills from the geeks and nerds is beyond me.

Isn't it enough to sift the ones that matured well for managerial jobs.

Oh end there is also the problem of progressive-ism - even here in tech there are conservative minded folk that get appalled by the power grab and the.

Comment

When people complain about the contributor covenant I often see them rail against the politics, but very rarely do I see them list the specific behaviours they want to engage in that would be prohibited by it.

Going by the 'our standards' section, they would need to make the following statements:
                  • I do not want to use welcoming and inclusive language.
                  • I do not want to be respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences.
                  • I do not want to gracefully accept constructive criticism.
                  • I do not want to focus on what's best for the community.
                  • I do not want to show empathy for other community members.
                  and:
                  • I want to use sexualised language or images, and engage in unwanted sexual attention or advances.
                  • I want to troll, make insulting/derogatory comments, and engage in personal or political attacks.
                  • I want to harass community members publicly or privately.
                  • I want to publish others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission.
                  • I want to behave in a way that would reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting.
                  How many people look at the above statements and think "those behaviours would make a community better". What project would be improved by allowing the behaviour described above?

Personally, I don't see anything excluded by the contributor covenant that I'd want to keep.

Comment

Contributor covenant is not about minorities, it's about your behavior. Just focus on the code and not the person who wrote it, and you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X