Raspberry Pi 4's V3D Driver Lands OpenGL ES 3.1 Bits In Mesa 19.3-devel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 4's V3D Driver Lands OpenGL ES 3.1 Bits In Mesa 19.3-devel

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4's V3D Driver Lands OpenGL ES 3.1 Bits In Mesa 19.3-devel

The Broadcom "V3D" Gallium3D driver that is most notably used by the new Raspberry Pi 4 boards now is effectively at OpenGL ES 3.1 support within the newest Mesa 19.3 code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Daniel VanVugt is toying with PIs now. We all know what that means..
    I don't. Could you elaborate?

Comment

StandaSK It will most likely end with further performance work.
      they should tune mutter/weston/kwin on devices like Pi/Odroid
      as you mostly don't see bottleneck on big CPUs and fast GPUs

Comment

I'm running gnome 3.34 on the xu4 and it runs pretty well already.

Comment

This news makes me want to buy a Pi 4, even though I don't even have a use case for it yet. I just want it!

Comment

Plasma 5.17 works okay on the pi 4 in Xorg (using manjaro arm)

(I wonder if this patch means you can enable OpenGL 3.1 kwin backend now?)

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
              (I wonder if this patch means you can enable OpenGL 3.1 kwin backend now?)
              subj is talking about opengl es

Comment

just out of curiosity ...
                raspberry 4 is able to start blender 2.8?
                I know for sure that it works well on jetson-nano, based on arm, but it also has nvidia drivers with cuda ...
                Does this help? Looks like GPU was used only for display? I’m totally a newb to blender and latest GPU things so not sure. Thanks for the info btw, I’m going to update the repo and built it again next week.

which opengl supports raspbery 4?

Comment

Originally posted by nokipaike View Post
                  just out of curiosity ...
                  raspberry 4 is able to start blender 2.8?
                  I know for sure that it works well on jetson-nano, based on arm, but it also has nvidia drivers with cuda ...
                  Does this help? Looks like GPU was used only for display? I’m totally a newb to blender and latest GPU things so not sure. Thanks for the info btw, I’m going to update the repo and built it again next week.

which opengl supports raspbery 4?
                  There were some posts on the RaspberryPi.org forums a while back about Blender, not sure the current state.

I believe Pi4 is still at HW accelerated OpenGL 2.1 for full fat OpenGL. Not to be confused with the GLES 3.2 support noted here, which would bring more compatibility compared to Android. Most info about what the HW supports I could find here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...92907#p1492907

Comment

[USER="68242"]
                    It’s a shame Eric Anholt left v3d work. His pessimistic claims of 2018 is pretty much debunked in 2019. Someone fixed v3d and Mutter got a ton of love from a ton of developers.
                    What was he pessimistic about, do you have a link? Genuinely curious as I haven't followed VC4 and V3D development in a while. He seemed to be pretty positive in his final post about videocore development.

Comment

Working...
                    X