Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALSA 1.0.19 Released With Many Changes

Phoronix: ALSA 1.0.19 Released With Many Changes

There were no release candidates or any official test builds this time around, but ALSA 1.0.19 was released this morning. There are many changes to be found in this latest update for the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is the quality of the creative driver simply so bad or are there other reasons not to include them? I don't understand it.

And why isn't there a "vesa" for sound cards, with which every card works rudimentary?

Comment

There kinda is, for every SoundBlaster-compatible card you can use sb. Too bad making your sound card such is not anymore the hottest boom, so only older cards tend to be like that.

Comment

they aren't codind the driver to give Creative a lesson. the next time, they will think twice before doing what they did. and you know what? I'm happy because I already know alsa wont have X-fi driver before this summer. in the mean time buy other high ends card.

you deserve this Creative.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
          they aren't codind the driver to give Creative a lesson.
          Where do you got that information from?
          Can you please point me to the mailing list entry, blog, whatever.

Or is this just wild guessing...

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Where do you got that information from?
            Can you please point me to the mailing list entry, blog, whatever.

Or is this just wild guessing...

wild guessing... but somehow I'm sure the developers aren't really happy of supporting X-fi cards so don't be surprised really much if x-fi doesn't work in Ubuntu 9.10... I'm ready to bet 100$ about this.

Comment

My microphone doens't work in ALSA 1.0.18 (I don't have the capture devices anymore). I hope 1.0.19 fixes the problem. Many HDA-Intel cards have similar problems (the .18 version was pushed via updates in Fedora).

Comment

you deserve this Creative.
                While I agree with this sentiment, it's not Creative suffering. Those of us who follow the tech world know Creative is a monopolistic patent troll that happens to make hardware. Unfortunately, they con a lot of people into buying their hardware, mostly because they acquire or sue the competition when it threatens to play to Creative's key crowd (gamers). They also pull stunts like making Audigy/2/4 owners pay for EAX support in Vista (though pirated versions are freely available).

Anyway, I can't say I feel too sorry for the uninformed sheep that keep flocking back to Creative to get screwed time and again.

so don't be surprised really much if x-fi doesn't work in Ubuntu 9.10
                The last time I checked the ALSA dev list (a while ago), at least some of the devs had actually received X-fi samples from Creative and Creative's own ALSA driver seems to work well for a lot of users. I'm guessing that an X-fi driver will show up in ALSA sooner than later.

As for OSS4, I keep up with the mailing list, and it seems like the devs there are content with the basic X-fi stereo driver (which works well for most X-fi cards). Unless someone's working on it without fanfare, they seem to have other priorities (MIDI, USB audio).

Comment

yea, what I actually meant was: if a user buys a xonar card instead of an x-fi, i'm happy because its -1 customer for creative.

as for the support in alsa, that was just a joke. but I really wouldn't put my hand on a fire saying an x-fi card will fully work as it should for october 2009....

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Anyway, I can't say I feel too sorry for the uninformed sheep that keep flocking back to Creative to get screwed time and again.
                    People don't buy Creative cards because they are "sheep". They buy them because there _still_ is no decent offering from the competition. I actually contemplated buying an "alternative" soundcard a few months back when I upgraded my desktop machine, and Creative was in the middle of the Vista driver fiasco. I opened a thread on this forum as well. The Asus Xonar and related cards where discussed and appeared interesting, until I found out that the EAX is still emulated in software so you get fps hits in games -- all while actually paying quite a lot for a card! Yes, I know everyone is switching to Dolby/TrueHD and whatnot, but while a Creative card can support that, the competition does not support older standards as well.

Oh, and by the way -- please tell me the name of just 1 (one) other card except the SBLive/Audigy line that can support HARDWARE wavetable (preferably also in Linux) and costs the same. Just one.

So yeah, other soundcards exist but they are little more than glorified integrated chipsets, I don't really see a point in buying any such card -- with fully digital connections, there is no difference in SNR or sound quality and it all comes down to the drivers. And Creative (although with a bad track record) do have better ones than the likes of Asus...

So all this attitude about "punishing" anyone is like cutting your nose to spite your face -- it's not helping anyone and it sounds like kindergarten logic. I'd like to give the ALSA devs the benefit of the doubt and consider them above that level, even though the open-source driver has been out there for... how many months? they really don't have much in the form of an excuse anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X