Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel Lockdown Feature Will Try To Land For Linux 5.4

Phoronix: Kernel Lockdown Feature Will Try To Land For Linux 5.4

After going through 40+ rounds of revisions and review, the Linux kernel "LOCKDOWN" feature might finally make it into the Linux 5.4 mainline kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Elon would have named the feature it would have been called "Kernel Pucker Factor" with a 1-10 scale. :]

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      If Elon would have named the feature it would have been called "Kernel Pucker Factor" with a 1-10 scale. :]
      Why not? It's still a better name than iLock, or Microsoft Kernel Locking 2019 😁

Comment

Uh, just give up already. Nobody gives a shit about your pet peeve lockdown fantasy project.

Comment

Originally posted by yturmisil View Post
          Nobody gives a shit
          On the contrary, I expect that this feature will see massive use once mainlined. Especially for locking people out of the computers that they own, in the name of DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            On the contrary, I expect that this feature will see massive use once mainlined. Especially for locking people out of the computers that they own, in the name of DRM.
            How would that work? If you have access to the boot loader you can always disable the kernel locking if you want to. On computers where you can't (normally) set your boot options, the Linux kernel has already been locked down for ages anyway - Android I'm looking at you of course.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

How would that work? If you have access to the boot loader you can always disable the kernel locking if you want to. On computers where you can't (normally) set your boot options, the Linux kernel has already been locked down for ages anyway - Android I'm looking at you of course.
              What if they lock the bootloader? (very very likely)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What if they lock the bootloader? (very very likely)
                As I said, that has been done for decades and this kernel feature won't change anything in that regard. It's not like unlocked computers are suddenly going to disappear from the market, or something.

Comment

Kernel lockdown closes some of the last feasible venues for owners of such devices to work around locked boot loaders and the like. FS-VERITY some others.
                  Last edited by chithanh; 18 September 2019, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X