Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org's Modesetting Driver Flips Off Atomic By Default

Phoronix: X.Org's Modesetting Driver Flips Off Atomic By Default

While atomic mode-setting has been around for several years now and to provide a modern mode-setting interface that can test modes prior to the actual operation and reduce possible flickering during mode-setting events and also being faster, the common xf86-video-modesetting driver has at least temporarily disabled the support by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's sad that the X.Org codebase is wasting away when Wayland is still 2-3 years away from being remotely usable on a day-to-day basis. I run Wayland as my main session, but that's because the obvious responsiveness increase is worth the constant visual glitches and application crashes to me. Every time an application crashes because it failed to draw a popup properly, I think to myself "Wayland was stable 4-5 years ago" and sigh.

Wayland is technically superior, but at this point is it even worth all the freaking effort? It's like the entire community is trying to force vaporware into being reality, and it's not going very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      Wayland is technically superior, but at this point is it even worth all the freaking effort? It's like the entire community is trying to force vaporware into being reality, and it's not going very well.
      Your weird Wayland problems are not normal, I would say. I've been running it for years on Intel and AMD hardware and it's been very good to me.

And you know that the graphic systems of both Chromebook and Android devices is very similar to Wayland. Nobody misses X or thinks that a Chromebook would be better with an X server.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        It's sad that the X.Org codebase is wasting away when Wayland is still 2-3 years away from being remotely usable on a day-to-day basis. I run Wayland as my main session, but that's because the obvious responsiveness increase is worth the constant visual glitches and application crashes to me. Every time an application crashes because it failed to draw a popup properly, I think to myself "Wayland was stable 4-5 years ago" and sigh.

As someone who uses Wayland on a day-to-day basis, it is more than remotely usable

Comment

I do use Wayland nowadays on all my devices, but at least Kwin's state is currently not really progressing, it is usable if you know how to avoid certain pitfalls, but bugs do not get addressed timely at all. Wayland itself is fine and it solves many issues of x11, but it should get proper first class support from all developers now. Several times I've received bad or no feedback from developers if asking for Wayland support in their application.

Comment

End of the month is wayland's 11th birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
              And you know that the graphic systems of both Chromebook and Android devices is very similar to Wayland. Nobody misses X or thinks that a Chromebook would be better with an X server.
              I think that Chromebooks would be infinitely more usable with an X server. Does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                I think that Chromebooks would be infinitely more usable with an X server. Does that count?
                I think they have X-server support on the lxc's . Oh wait, it reports the displays XWAYLAND0 and XWAYLAND1.
                And that's on an arm chromebook with chromeos.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Your weird Wayland problems are not normal, I would say. I've been running it for years on Intel and AMD hardware and it's been very good to me.

I've been getting constant crashes and visual corruption using KDE on an AMD system.
                  Gnome wasn't much better when I tried it.

On nouveau it's a complete disaster, it crashed within seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                    On nouveau it's a complete disaster, it crashed within seconds.
                    It's fair to say that the crash rate is several times higher with Wayland compositors than vs. Xorg, likely even on Intel GPUs.
                    Currently, I just have to close some xwayland fullscreen games on Plasma, and everything hangs to death, leading to hard reset with potential data loss (already got some game savegames corrupted).

Comment

Working...
                    X