No announcement yet.

AMD Prepping Their HDCP 1.4 Content Protection Support For Raven Ridge & Newer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Prepping Their HDCP 1.4 Content Protection Support For Raven Ridge & Newer

Phoronix: AMD Prepping Their HDCP 1.4 Content Protection Support For Raven Ridge & Newer

AMD developers have sent out their latest open-source Linux patches doing their kernel driver share for enabling High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) support for version 1.4 and newer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hate HDCP, and any other form of "copy protection"/"Digital Rights Management" which only aims to restrict how I enjoy the content I bought.
    I just want to watch a movie, or listen to a song, without being locked into their crap.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 30 August 2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

If needed for Chromebooks then i see why AMD does it.
      Isn't HDCP it self pretty useless with a master key that been publicly available for 9 years and HDCP strippers on the market but i guess it comes down to licensing and content creators/publishers.

Comment

It's probably related to the PS5 that will use AND graphics and CPUs. I doubt the new Xbox will tun any type of Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
          It's probably related to the PS5 that will use AND graphics and CPUs. I doubt the new Xbox will tun any type of Linux.
          PS5 is probably going to be BSD based like the PS4. Plus with the PS4 we never saw HDCP added to Jaguar on Linux.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Can't wait to encrypt the video signal to my display connection with the latest and greater security standard ;-)!

Comment

This is that Intel licensing scam that was cracked a decade ago, yea? Ok. I guess that's cool. If window dressing gets us into new territories of media, I'll pretend to play along.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                I hate HDCP, and any other form of "copy protection"/"Digital Rights Management" which only aims to restrict how I enjoy my content.
                I just want to watch a movie, or listen to a song, without being locked into their crap.
                Problem is, despite what you seem to think - It really ain't your movie or your song. You don't 'own' them in a sense of owning the rights. You bought the rights to watch them and whatever further allowances your own local laws make for. These laws supersede whatever stupid too limiting crap content producer may think up. DRM remains within laws and when you really don't like DRM, well, you are free not to agree to the terms set and not to consume particular song or movie. You are not somehow 'entitled' to it.

If you produced song or a movie and made money off your efforts, would YOU agree that it's no longer yours but owned by whoever the fuck just happened to buy a copy? Seriously doubt THAT.
                ​​
                Current law in EU is IMHO good compromise. As long as one can show off having an original physical media, he/she can copy it, keep the copies for personal own use etc.. but is not permitted to further publish them /upload for pirating.. Or making money off copies in return. He/she can resell the original media just fine... Just do it, if DRM is ideologically unacceptable. But then do liquidate any copies made after selling the original as well
                Last edited by aht0; 30 August 2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Hopefully HDCP 1.4 itself will be broken (all DRM should be), and may be AMD can release open source firmware with HDCP stripped to allow blob-less option.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Problem is, despite what you seem to think - It really ain't your movie or your song. You don't 'own' them in a sense of owning the rights.
                    Clarification: By "my content", I mean " the content I acquired".

Comment

Working...
                    X