Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome 77 Enters Beta

Phoronix: Google Chrome 77 Enters Beta

Following the Chrome 76 release from just over one week ago, Google has now issued the beta for the Chrome/Chromium 77 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How come we read here about Chrome all the time and not Chromium? Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
      How come we read here about Chrome all the time and not Chromium? Cheers
      Is there a significant difference?

Comment

How come we read here about Chrome and Chromium all the time and not ungoogled-chromium? Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Is there a significant difference?
          No there isn't. It's basically the same product.

Chrome has support for more media formats (at least H.264 I think), PPAPI Flash support, more diagnostics are sent to Google, maybe the PDF reader used by Chrome is still proprietary (it used to be but I don't think it's anymore?).

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          How come we read here about Chrome and Chromium all the time and not ungoogled-chromium? Cheers
          Because ungoogled-chromium suffers from a lack of manpower needed to maintain the project, they don't even provide official binaries (unless your distribution builds said project), so you're forced to build the project by yourself if you don't trust unofficial binaries. And trust me, building Chromium on a not-so-beefy workstation takes quite a while. And I don't necessarily trust that all the changes that have been made to the project have been reviewed properly, the possibility of bugs existing in ungoogled-chromium seems quite a lot higher than in Chromium itself.

Comment

Originally posted by nsneck View Post
            they don't even provide official binaries (unless your distribution builds said project), so you're forced to build the project by yourself if you don't trust unofficial binaries. And trust me, building Chromium on a not-so-beefy workstation takes quite a while.
            I've built ungoogled-chromium on an 8-year old i3 laptop. Not difficult. Nothing to be so frightened of. Seems like you have some reason to spread FUD about the project?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I've built ungoogled-chromium on an 8-year old i3 laptop. Not difficult. Nothing to be so frightened of. Seems like you have some reason to spread FUD about the project?
              I don't think I'm spreading FUD of any kind, it's just a fact that the project has a shortage of hands and thus it's hard to put my trust on such a project.

Also of course you _can_ build chromium on basically any machine from the last 15 years, it's a different question how long it'll take you and rebuilding ~once a week or so with security updates quickly becomes very annoying. IIRC on my i5-4690K with 8gb of ram it took 2-3 hours to build ungoogled-chromium in 2015 or 2016. And that is a long time if you intend on keeping the browser up-to-date.

Comment

Working...
              X