Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Works On Adding More Bling To The Windows Terminal

Phoronix: Microsoft Works On Adding More Bling To The Windows Terminal

Since Microsoft's first preview release of Windows Terminal earlier this summer it's been entertaining to watch its evolution with the Redmond giant trying to make a first-rate terminal emulator for Windows and one that can appease veteran Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I reading this right? They have reimplemented a standard Windows feature and made it the first thing in the blog post? 🎉 I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
      Am I reading this right? They have reimplemented a standard Windows feature and made it the first thing in the blog post? 🎉 I guess...
      If you dive into the classes you'll find they're drawing borderless and are manually hooking the remaining tab bar with the window dragging. I think the very first major program to do this was Office Word but Adobe Photoshop (CS6?) was the first to really do it properly and the browsers followed up. However, it's not part of any standard windows widget kit that I'm aware of... Maybe if they built it into metro so it will render properly in all versions and use cases, people would have used it.

Comment

I dont get it.

The htop looks nice tho

Comment

Now Microsoft needs to slightly change their users/developers expectations so that they feel compelled to use the command line rather than wait around for a ratty GUI tool to be developed.

The 2000's view that "The command line is old fashioned" needs to disappear. It has locked people down to terrible software for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            Now Microsoft needs to slightly change their users/developers expectations so that they feel compelled to use the command line rather than wait around for a ratty GUI tool to be developed.

The 2000's view that "The command line is old fashioned" needs to disappear. It has locked people down to terrible software for too long.
            That's very funny that someone's post 666 is praising what modern users, I mean idiots, consider to be the devil of computers -- a terminal/command line

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              The kdepersen view that "The command line is a good interface" needs to disappear. It truly is not a good interface for a whole lot of devices, especially keyboardless ones with a touchscreen (i.e. smartphones), which is where most of the "consumer computing" is moving.

Comment

Will they improve the "Settings" option so it doesn't just open/download a json file?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's very funny that someone's post 666 is praising what modern users, I mean idiots, consider to be the devil of computers -- a terminal/command line
                  Read that commentary with "Sympathy for the Devil" playing on the background.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    The kdepersen view that "The command line is a good interface" needs to disappear. It truly is not a good interface for a whole lot of devices, especially keyboardless ones with a touchscreen (i.e. smartphones), which is where most of the "consumer computing" is moving.
                    Considering that modern on-screen keyboards provide heavy autocompletion, I think you're wrong. If you were to add support for taking advantage of basic shell features like completion and history, CLI would be pretty nice even on touch screens.

Comment

Working...
                    X