Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razer's Linux Laptop Plans Appear To Have Been Mothballed

Phoronix: Razer's Linux Laptop Plans Appear To Have Been Mothballed

Remember back in 2017 when Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan talked about plans for better Linux support for their high-end gaming laptops on Linux? More than two years later, they have yet to ship a Linux laptop nor make any other measurable improvements to their Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a pretty good reason to not trust Razer. Keep this specific thing in mind the next time you consider buying from them.

For me, this brand is on my personal shit list after hearing about the number of faulty mice they've released, and the fact that they dediced to get rid of Cherry switches with Kalih switches with their bumped specs, and the fact that it's the obnoxious 13 year old gamer kid with too much money brand.

Comment

Alas I do have to agree. Having some experience with the Razar products they have definitely gone the "image over quality" approach! I found it didnt even matter what OS being used their actual hardware is low quality and throw away, but you pay a fortune for the name.

Comment

Well, wouldn't have it been ironical if they released Linux laptop that doesn't even have support for their own hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
          but you pay a fortune for the name.
          Is Razor a particularly good name? I thought it was always targeted at the cheap gamer range.

Comment

Perhaps they should have set their sights a teensy bit lower--

The Pine group has, just today, opened the ordering of their 14" IPS 1080p, magnesium-cased, 6-core $199.00 Pinebook Pro Linux laptop; with up to 128 GB of eMMC and NVMe m.2 expansion.
            ...and if memory serves correctly, the Pine Group's intention to build the Pinebook Pro was announced far less than two years ago; like, maybe, less than a year, maybe?

PINE64 is a large, vibrant and diverse community and creates software, documentation and projects.
            Last edited by danmcgrew; 25 July 2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

This is why I buy Roccat hardware

Comment

And Open Razer does not work for me, although they wrote that they added support.
                P.S.1532:006e

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                  Perhaps they should have set their sights a teensy bit lower--

The Pine group has, just today, opened the ordering of their 14" IPS 1080p, magnesium-cased, 6-core $199.00 Pinebook Pro Linux laptop; with up to 128 GB of eMMC and NVMe m.2 expansion.
                  ...and if memory serves correctly, the Pine Group's intention to build the Pinebook Pro was announced far less than two years ago; like, maybe, less than a year, maybe?

https://www.pine64.org/
                  Maybe you've mistaken the price point of the Pinebook, which is $99.

Comment

>Remember back in 2017 when Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan talked about plans for better Linux support for their high-end gaming laptops on Linux?

No.

Gaming laptops are a meme.

Razer is a meme. I was deep into it in my CoD days. x3

Comment

Working...
                    X