MoltenVK 1.0.36 Released With Many Fixes & Improvements For Vulkan On MacOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoltenVK 1.0.36 Released With Many Fixes & Improvements For Vulkan On MacOS

Phoronix: MoltenVK 1.0.36 Released With Many Fixes & Improvements For Vulkan On MacOS

The open-source MoltenVK continues advancing for supporting a healthy subset of the Vulkan API on Apple's macOS and iOS platforms. MoltenVK 1.0.36 was released today with support for more Vulkan extensions, many bug fixes, and a variety of other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Every time I see an article about a MoltenVK update I can't help but wonder if MoltenVK is really bad or if it's Zenimax that is screwing up their implementation of it. Ever since Zenimax switched their Mac Elder Scrolls Online client from OpenGL to MoltenVK there has been a non stop stream of complaints about everything being broken on the Elder Scrolls Mac Support forums.

It really doesn't bring good publicity for MoltenVK.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
      Every time I see an article about a MoltenVK update I can't help but wonder if MoltenVK is really bad or if it's Zenimax that is screwing up their implementation of it. Ever since Zenimax switched their Mac Elder Scrolls Online client from OpenGL to MoltenVK there has been a non stop stream of complaints about everything being broken on the Elder Scrolls Mac Support forums.

I don't think it makes much sense to blame it on MoltenVK without any evidence that it is the source of problems. Correlation is not causation

Comment

I'm surprised that this project even exists. I'd assume nobody plays games on a mac these days.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
          I'm surprised that this project even exists. I'd assume nobody plays games on a mac these days.
          Steam Mac users are still 4x the number of the Linux users. So yes, someone plays games on Mac.

Comment

Valve games like Dota2 , Underlords are working with MoltenVK on Apple systems. Both IOS and MacOS. Did you see crazy complaints about it?

Also ; that is kinda common practice at Mac gaming. I saw many people complaining about WoW Metal renderer , Fortnite Metal renderer. Most of them have really underpowered Mac's ( with Intel HD etc ) which adds up even more. Did you try gaming with one of those chips on Linux or Windows? You will go crazy. That is the standart hw at Mac area.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
              a lot of kids ans colege studants who thinks Mac is great, and then try to play games with a intel hd and have 15 fps

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

a lot of kids ans colege studants who thinks Mac is great, and then try to play games with a intel hd and have 15 fps
                I thought the kind of people who buy a Mac get a console for gaming so they don't have issues with their games.

Comment

It's a combination of both.

ESO had a very polished OpenGL 4.1 renderer that was extremely fast (even on macOS OpenGL). They ditched this when they re-wrote their particle system to use compute shaders (no compute shader support on OpenGL 4.1). They switched to Vulkan instead of Metal directly, because they were already in the process of porting the game to Stadia, and didn't have anyone with metal experience on their team. Their Vulkan backend was rushed, and full of bugs... When that was combined with MoltenVKs bugs, all hell broke loose. They're currently in talks with Apple to use metal directly.

MoltenVK works great for more simple games (Dota 2 etc), but has issues when running complex engines.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I don't think it makes much sense to blame it on MoltenVK without any evidence that it is the source of problems. Correlation is not causation
                    The issues users were having with constant crashing, were all inside MotlenVK according to the crash logs.

Comment

Working...
                    X