Feral's GameMode 1.4 Adds Flatpak Support, Better I/O Optimization Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral's GameMode 1.4 Adds Flatpak Support, Better I/O Optimization Handling

Phoronix: Feral's GameMode 1.4 Adds Flatpak Support, Better I/O Optimization Handling

Feral developers released a new version of their GameMode Linux game performance optimization daemon/client this weekend in order to allow this update to land in the upcoming Fedora Workstation 31. GameMode 1.4 offers up many features including new interfaces for allowing better GNOME integration and thus the Fedora interest in seeing this version in their autumn Linux distribution update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay, support for non-systemd systems! I might try this out now.

Comment

Do they really need a daemon? I'd much rather have a wrapper script I can use to start a game, which will clean up once it exits. If it's impossible to use it without a daemon, I hope they at least provide a systemd socket.

Daemons are just bloat, and the less of them I have, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        Do they really need a daemon? I'd much rather have a wrapper script I can use to start a game, which will clean up once it exits. If it's impossible to use it without a daemon, I hope they at least provide a systemd socket.

Daemons are just bloat, and the less of them I have, the better.
        Daemons are not that much bloat but I agree, socket activation would be nice especially as the systemd can also do that for Dbus.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Daemons are not that much bloat but I agree, socket activation would be nice especially as the systemd can also do that for Dbus.
          Any process you don't really need is bloat.

Comment

No one besides Windows Setup.exe or macOS Packages loving fanbois will ever use flatpaks. So why wasting time supporting it. There is nothing wrong with dnf install <somepack> or apt-get install <somepack>. The commands are memorizable, works on all architectures and you get 1:1 packages,that go well with your system. And! they don't require you to install another Linux eco-system inside another Linux eco-system.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Any process you don't really need is bloat.
              It's still not that much bloat. This is a tiny daemon written in C, not a python script, therefore It's not going to use hundreds of megabytes for no apparent reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                No one besides Windows Setup.exe or macOS Packages loving fanbois will ever use flatpaks. So why wasting time supporting it.
                You are underestimating the amount of "Windows Setup.exe or macOS Packages loving fanbois".

There is nothing wrong with dnf install <somepack> or apt-get install <somepack>.
                Yes, you get the application that was packaged by your distro's maintainers, and it has no sandboxing.

With flatpak you can get the application directly from upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  With flatpak you can get the application directly from upstream.
                  I trust the package maintainers of my distro of choice for not breaking the system. So why relying on halfassed packages from "upstream", if I can get the adjusted ones that goes perfectly with my distro (permissions, owner, showing icons, seamless goes in with my desktop, etc.) ? Nothing wrong with RPM's or DEB's. No need for sandboxing or "runtimes" within my Linux world.

Comment

Candy you can always build it from git. the instruction seems pretty simple

Comment

Working...
                    X