Latte Dock 0.9 Beta Brings Wayland Improvements, Smoother Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latte Dock 0.9 Beta Brings Wayland Improvements, Smoother Experience

Phoronix: Latte Dock 0.9 Beta Brings Wayland Improvements, Smoother Experience

It's been over one year since the release of Latte Dock 0.8 as this KDE-aligned desktop dock while now the v0.9 release isn't too far away...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On a DE that have a always showing bar, I never got the advantage of running another bar just to launch programs, since you can fix the icons on the taskbar.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      On a DE that have a always showing bar, I never got the advantage of running another bar just to launch programs, since you can fix the icons on the taskbar.
      Have you ever used the dock in Mac OS? Because it isn't just an application launcher - it also doubles as a task bar and system tray (if we're to use Windows terms). The way it handles folders is nice too. The bar in Unity functions similarly.
      But to your point, it isn't really that special. Docks are good for old people and those who like eye candy, but there are more practical ways to manage tasks and launch programs.

Comment

But Latte still doesn't provide some different "styles" for the dock like good old AWN did, does it?
        Some shiny glass background like this would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Have you ever used the dock in Mac OS? Because it isn't just an application launcher - it also doubles as a task bar and system tray (if we're to use Windows terms). The way it handles folders is nice too. The bar in Unity functions similarly.
          But to your point, it isn't really that special. Docks are good for old people and those who like eye candy, but there are more practical ways to manage tasks and launch programs.
          The dock in macOS sucks. The only true useful dock out there (esp. outside of the Linux world) is the AmigaOS 4.x dock.

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post
            But Latte still doesn't provide some different "styles" for the dock like good old AWN did, does it?
            Some shiny glass background like this would be cool.
            Not like AWN, no. But a shiny background like that is possible with KSmoothDock (which has been around since 2003 or so and is still updated frequently): https://store.kde.org/p/1081169/ It also behaves more like AWN (but not entirely) than Latte.
            I just cannot find that theme right now, will notify you if I find it again
            Last edited by Vistaus; 18 July 2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X