Valve's Steam Survey Data Shows Linux Usage Pulling Back During June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Steam Survey Data Shows Linux Usage Pulling Back During June

Phoronix: Valve's Steam Survey Data Shows Linux Usage Pulling Back During June

While Linux usage of Steam as a percentage has generally been flat or ticking up slightly each month since last year when Valve introduced Steam Play for allowing many Windows games to run gracefully on Linux, during June was the first time in a while seeing a decline...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

heh, I *just* submitted my Linux steam survey before reading this article, maybe July will have a slight uptick?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      heh, I *just* submitted my Linux steam survey before reading this article, maybe July will have a slight uptick?
      0.8% up

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        Reason: Summer in Northern hemisphere, gaming overall takes a hit. Each year. Especially so during warm weather.

Comment

Until Valve allows surveys for beta users, these results are always going to sound much worse than they really are.

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          Reason: Summer in Northern hemisphere, gaming overall takes a hit. Each year. Especially so during warm weather.
          You say that as though Linux users are known to go out and get some sun...

On a more serious note though, these percentages shouldn't really change much regardless of season. It's a percentage of which OS is in use, so, I don't see why that'd be particularly seasonal. Remember, there's a finite amount of surveys sent out (40k I think?).

Comment

the southern hemisphere also exists, there's loads of Linux users in South America, and I bet that in Australia, NZ, oceania, africa as well. Why there always some friction between south and north?? I feel ignored sometimes, but I wonder how ppl that live in caribean or the equator feel... jeez those ppl don't have winter do you realize??

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Until Valve allows surveys for beta users, these results are always going to sound much worse than they really are.

You say that as though Linux users are known to go out and get some sun...

On a more serious note though, these percentages shouldn't really change much regardless of season. It's a percentage of which OS is in use, so, I don't see why that'd be particularly seasonal. Remember, there's a finite amount of surveys sent out (40k I think?).
              Until we have Linux as a platform which offers a rich set of stable APIs/ABIs supported for at the very least 10 years, we won't have any gains in Linux gaming market share.

And then maybe we shouldn't deprecate and throw away the things which still work great vs. something which is lacking huge desktop oriented features like global keyboard shortcuts. I mean seriously? An X.org replacement which has been in development for over a decade doesn't offer an API for global keyboard shortcuts. Then what about remote screen sharing? Only recently some work has been done towards it. And again no APIs for sending keyboard/mouse events remotely.

WTF is wrong with Linux developers?
              Last edited by birdie; 02 July 2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Until we have Linux as a platform which offers a rich set of stable APIs/ABIs supported for at the very least 10 years, we won't have any gains in Linux gaming market share.

And then maybe we shouldn't deprecate and throw away the things which still work great vs. something which is lacking huge desktop oriented features like global keyboard shortcuts. I mean seriously? An X.org replacement which has been in development for over a decade doesn't offer an API for global keyboard shortcuts. Then what about remote screen sharing? Only recently some work has been done towards it. And again no APIs for sending keyboard/mouse events remotely.

WTF is wrong with the Linux developers?
                you get an upvote! seriously... i am beginning to question my love for linux. These idiots are starting to make me look bad. When my friends come up to me and ask why should i even try linux if they will just kill working features... i dont have an answer for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayote View Post
                  the southern hemisphere also exists, there's loads of Linux users in South America, and I bet that in Australia, NZ, oceania, africa as well. Why there always some friction between south and north?? I feel ignored sometimes, but I wonder how ppl that live in caribean or the equator feel... jeez those ppl don't have winter do you realize??
                  Southern hemisphere has smaller population density, it's something that reflects in gaming.

Comment

Southern hemisphere has smaller population density, it's something that reflects in gaming.
                    that's correct obviously because the northern hemisphere has a bigger land mass. also the eastern hemisphere has bigger land mass than the western, and so?, I thought that China low linux user count was hitting the linux market share on steam. I don't see the relation between higher number of gamers, and higher linux gaming market share.
                    Last edited by Kayote; 02 July 2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X