Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At What's On The Table For Linux 5.3 Features

Phoronix: A Look At What's On The Table For Linux 5.3 Features

With the Linux 5.2 kernel due to be released in a few weeks and that marking the opening of the Linux 5.3 merge window, here is a look at some of the likely features coming to this next version of the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

phoronix

Are you going to make an update on the performance of Linux 5.x compared to 4.x ?

I am still concerned about your findings regarding Linux 5 regressions.

Comment

This is possibly the first kernel update that [currently] has no impact at all on anything I have/use, at home or at work.

Comment

I still hope 5.2 will be able to fire up a display on my HP envy x360, last bootable kernel with display support is 4.19

Comment

That model seems to have a problem with linux-firmware's
          /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_dmcu.bin

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
            Looks like that was updated on 5-2-2019.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...b0680bc640ea26
            Sounds promising, maybe I find some time to try the git version next week

Comment

Will this be an LTS release??

Comment

100Gbit Ethernet... That's something only enterprise environments can take advantage of... Must be for data centers...

I would only see myself going for 10Gbit SFP+ or RJ45 networking and that's about it until M.2 SSDs catch up and is more affordable, making hard drives becoming moot in the future. I'm hoping the gap between 2TB SSD and 2TB hard drive will narrow in the next few years.

Comment

Regression testing is nice, but sometimes running it right is better than fast. Too much work on fast code has been partly to blame for these security issues. There needs to be some balance between speed and security and these days CPUs are so fast that security needs to take precedence.

Comment

Working...
                  X