Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Becoming Easier To Develop New Wayland Extensions For Mir

Phoronix: It's Becoming Easier To Develop New Wayland Extensions For Mir

The Mir 1.2 release was aiming to make it easier to develop Mir servers with custom Wayland extensions easier, but in dog feeding the work, Canonical's long-time Mir developer Alan Griffiths realized some shortcomings in the experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alan quickly realized the issues
    What were those issues then?
    Tell us about them.

Comment

Can someone please explain what the point of Mir is at this point. Is it a compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
        Can someone please explain what the point of Mir is at this point. Is it a compositor?
        Yeah. I don't see the point either.

Comment

Mir for now is a very different thing from it was announced by Canonical at the beginning. It is now a Wayland server/compositor like Sway while it used be a totally different display server from Xorg/Wayland. If I were Mir maintainer I would rename the project considering such a bad reputation...

Comment

Originally posted by kbumsik View Post
            Mir for now is a very different thing from it was announced by Canonical at the beginning. It is now a Wayland server/compositor like Sway
            Yeah, I was thinking it had to be something like this. So basically they ditched Google protocol buffers and first layer glue and substituted the Wayland protocol instead. This makes it of interest, as all the current Wayland compositors appear to be shit.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
              It is both a compositor and a building block for other compositors (like Weston and libweston, or Sway and wlroots).

Comment

Working...
              X