Red Hat Expecting X.Org To "Go Into Hard Maintenance Mode Fairly Quickly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Expecting X.Org To "Go Into Hard Maintenance Mode Fairly Quickly"

Phoronix: Red Hat Expecting X.Org To "Go Into Hard Maintenance Mode Fairly Quickly"

With the Fedora Workstation 31 feature outlook covered earlier this week, there was an interesting comment in that article by Red Hat's Christian Schaller that deserves special coverage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As long as they are committed to provide a seamless transition to Wayland, I'm all for it.

Comment

Isn't the nvidia support on Wayland still not great? Not sure what it's like on KDE, but last I heard it wasn't a good time on Gnome. I wonder how much effort Nvidia is willing to go to try keep their EGLStreams / proprietary driver relevant(it seems they have to directly contribute towards Gnome/KDE and presumably any other Wayland compositors that they feel are worth supporting(and the project maintainers willing to accept PRs for). Last I recall, the GBM replacement Allocator wasn't making any progress and when an issue on github was raised about what the status was it just got closed without a response.

Is it going to be more effort/cost for them going forward to support Wayland as they're trying to currently vs following AMD and others by actually pushing Nouveau forward? Or would they just cut their losses with Linux so long as their GPUs work for compute?

As an nvidia user, it's a bit of a concern. KDE isn't quite ready for Wayland either(nvidia aside) afaik too. I guess X11 will still be fine as long as it continues to work and any major problems that may crop up are still fixed.

Comment

What about Proton, Wine ? They can't work without X.org.

Comment

That is all great. Looking forward to having wayland running well on my desktop with Nvidia GFX.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
            What about Proton, Wine ? They can't work without X.org.
            I expect xwayland will be around for a long time. If bitrot in x is going to occur I think that it will mostly be the standalone X server that will be affected as that is where we are (slowly) moving away from. But these are just my guesses...

Comment

Yeah!! Fuck noVidia! Burn spajetti code to ground!!

Comment

I'm all for moving on to the newest, latest and greatest but only if the transition is absolutely seamless. Right now, it is far from it.

I'm running KDE Neon on an Dell XPS 13 (Intel graphics only), and KDE won't even log in most of the time sending you back to SDDM. When it does, the mouse pointer is twice as large as normal, all programs constantly crash until you are automatically logged out and send back to SDDM. Using an external display is completely out of the question, after logging in you are left with either a crash straight back to SDDM, or a black screen where even the TTY's aren't available and the only solution is to hold the power button.

Comment

what about Devuan, will they riotly fork it into a non-wayland release!?

Comment

Sounds cool and all. However, will we see xwayland supported so that we can still use all the fun legacy software?

Comment

Working...
                    X